Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
It’s listed under the Cellular and Wireless category for iPhone 7 and above. What is this wireless technology? Does it have to do with NFC?

Attachments

• 81E7C525-9C96-4AFB-8A7B-ECFA4B924194.jpeg
    81E7C525-9C96-4AFB-8A7B-ECFA4B924194.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 553

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
A type of NFC card that doesn't need to be activated through an app. EG. the using your iPhone as a Suica card in Japan. You can tap your phone without activating or unlocking it, it will just register the tap and deduct from your balance.

Reactions: lolkthxbai

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
A type of NFC card that doesn't need to be activated through an app. EG. the using your iPhone as a Suica card in Japan. You can tap your phone without activating or unlocking it, it will just register the tap and deduct from your balance.
Thanks! Now, is this the only implementation of the Express Cards? Just Suica cards?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

i have a related question.

the attached graphic in the original post didnt specificailly mention felica type NFC (felica is the implementation standard of NFC in japan).
so i verified on the USA apple site for Xs that indeed felica type NFC is not listed there (on the USA apple site)
this is a little bit strange, since iPhone 8 and iPhone X both had felica capability. specifically stated, and it was a big deal at the time, actually that iPhones available for sale outside of japan now had felica capability.

Express Card is not a type of felica. Express Card is a way that you can set a felica NFC capable transportation app to inter-react with the turnstyle at train entrances without the app actually being open and without any actual user caused action. it is basically a way to set a default felica app. necessary in transportation setting since the data needs to be communicated very very quickly (we're talking milliseconds).

on the japanese site for Xs it lists 3 NFC i/o: (1) NFC (2) Express Card, and (3) specifically mentions felica also:
  • リーダーモード対応NFC
  • 予備電力機能付きエクスプレスカード
  • FeliCa
why is felica not mentioned specifically on the USA Xs page? does it have any implication for USA purchased Xs models to access felica terminals (transportation and in-store) ?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
i'm pretty sure thats exactly what i said in my post with not as many words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.