Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
Not to add to all the complaining but this really bothers me...

Every single app now has an insanely massive title about what app you're using... How does a company that understands the visual hierarchy of importance screw something up so massively. My eyes are drawn to this massive title constantly, and it's everywhere.

This is seriously disturbing D: I hope the new OSX isn't like this.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's like deja-vu as all the folks installing today complain about the same things we complained about months ago when the beta period started.

Yeah, the big bold titles are unnecessary. I'm still not sure what Apple was thinking. Them's the breaks though.

Reactions: exexs

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I noticed. Clear where Apple's initial inspiration came from:
win98logo.png

1.gif

------
I hope the new OSX isn't like this.
Present in a few places, but not as many as iOS.
history-header-png.705750

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Every single app now has an insanely massive title about what app you're using... How does a company that understands the visual hierarchy of importance screw something up so massively. My eyes are drawn to this massive title constantly, and it's everywhere.

Apparently the headers are large to accommodate the iPhone X's sensor notch.

Stangy123

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016

Yeah I logged in JUST to complain about this. I feel like my Dad with the font on XXlarge. Why do I need a giant "Messages" in messages. I know its ****ing messages I clicked on it!!!

It seems like a small thing but it takes up half the screen. I think Apple lost it with this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: applesith

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah I logged in JUST to complain about this. I feel like my Dad with the font on XXlarge. Why do I need a giant "Messages" in messages. I know its ****ing messages I clicked on it!!! I think Apple lost it with this one.

Are you actually using Messages, or just admiring it? Messages opens to the last message thread open and the title scrolls into the bar if you scroll at all in the recipient list.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I hate it when Apple does stuff that isn't better. Should have been clear during the beta that the font was bothersome but they stuck to their guns.

Stangy123

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Are you actually using Messages, or just admiring it? Messages opens to the last message thread open and the title scrolls into the bar if you scroll at all in the recipient list.

I know its not a huge deal. But Apple usually get the usability and design right on these things. Its distracting to me now sure why.

What is the point on the huge Font there? It doesnt improve anything and takes away from screen real estate.

Stangy123

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Or its a subliminal message that you need a bigger screen ie please buy the iPhone X :)

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Yet the icons on the dock have no text showing what they are. Good thing it shows Messages in large font when I open the messages app since I have that icon on my doc. I wouldn’t know what app I’m in without. /s

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Headings for different sections of an app is one thing (Music: library, playlists, artists, etc.) But Having it for just the sake of it like in Messages is unnecessary. Neither heading case needs the large obnoxious font.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Tim and Jonathan's eyesight isn't what it once was, clearly. They should go in for new prescriptions.

That said, there's all sorts of visual missteps being found in the iOS -

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.