Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
What third-party chargers and cords do you recommend for the new iPads? A multi-port model with both USB-A and USB-C would be ideal, but maximum charging speed is a must.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would not trust a third party charger. As much as the new iPads cost, I would stick with Apple. The last thing you want to do is use a no name third party charger because you got it cheap, and it screws up / breaks / or catches your iPad on fire.

Reactions: Davidalan

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I would not trust a third party charger. As much as the new iPads cost, I would stick with Apple. The last thing you want to do is use a no name third party charger because you got it cheap, and it screws up / breaks / or catches your iPad on fire.
As long as you're using a UL listed and USB-IF certified charger you're fine.

But you're right users should shy away from cheap junk that fails to get these certifications. Even outside of the risk of damaging the iPad they can lead to fires that may cause serious damage to property or lead to loss of life.

Reactions: sparksd and alexcue

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
As long as you're using a UL listed and USB-IF certified charger you're fine.

But you're right users should shy away from cheap junk that fails to get these certifications. Even outside of the risk of damaging the iPad they can lead to fires that may cause serious damage to property or lead to loss of life.
The other aspect is if there is a problem down the road, I wouldn't want to give Apple any room to say you used this charger and that is why it caused thus and thus. There is no wiggle room with the Apple charger. It is worth it to me to buy the Apple charger.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
The other aspect is if there is a problem down the road, I wouldn't want to give Apple any room to say you used this charger and that is why it caused thus and thus. There is no wiggle room with the Apple charger. It is worth it to me to buy the Apple charger.
How the hell is Apple going to know you’re not using the charger that came with your iPad?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
How the hell is Apple going to know you’re not using the charger that came with your iPad?
If there is a problem and someone contacts Apple, that question usually comes up. A lot of people tell the truth. I also wouldn't be surprised if the battery logs can identify an Apple charger being used.

And if someone's iPad were to catch fire, you can rest assured Apple will want to know what charger was used.

Why spend top dollar on an iPad and then look for third party options with a charger?

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
If there is a problem and someone contacts Apple, that question usually comes up. A lot of people tell the truth. I also wouldn't be surprised if the battery logs can identify an Apple charger being used.

And if someone's iPad were to catch fire, you can rest assured Apple will want to know what charger was used.

Why spend top dollar on an iPad and then look for third party options with a charger?
Because brands like Anker have both good reputations and way more options for multi-port chargers in various form factors.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
What third-party chargers and cords do you recommend for the new iPads? A multi-port model with both USB-A and USB-C would be ideal, but maximum charging speed is a must.
To answer the question, I have been all-in on iPad Pros (currently both sizes of 2018, used both for my small business and personal use) since 2017, and at this point I have several different Anker versions—60w with two USB-C, similar version with one USB-C and one USB-A, and four different versions of surge protector/power strips with built in USB-C ports and USB-A ports, for different rooms of the house. I also recently got a RAV-power version with two USB-C and two USB-A. Oh, and for quite awhile I’ve had the Scosche modular charging dock. So far so good on all of the above.

I’m sure it is overkill, but I need options by my bed, the couch, my desk, and the dining room table (where I sometimes see local students, though most of my business is on Zoom).

Reactions: alexcue

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Because brands like Anker have both good reputations and way more options for multi-port chargers in various form factors.
So true. For travel, am I going to carry my iPad charger, watch charger, phone charger, etc., or am I going to want a single hub that charges all of these items (now needing both USB-A and USB-C connections) and I only need the cords?

Reactions: alexcue

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
So true. For travel, am I going to carry my iPad charger, watch charger, phone charger, etc., or am I going to want a single hub that charges all of these items (now needing both USB-A and USB-C connections) and I only need the cords?
My current travel setup is an Anker 2 USB-C and an Anker 1 USB-C and 1 USB-A, with USB-C cords for the iPads and the MagSafe Duo for my phone and watch. Then the spare USB-A port is just for whatever might come up (charging power banks, AirPods, etc.), and I have a cable with lightning, USB-C, and micro-USB (or mini-- whichever one is the more common one) ends.

I am a crazy person, but I love my tech.

Reactions: Kyle76

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Does it have a normal plug or a wall wort?

Normal, removable corded plug

d70ab612b0b96041777c38e65c5137dc.jpg

3e76a92c5953246d2e649d3e1ebe4a88.jpg

2c1fe14f15239b3b63efb2f8b961c99f.jpg

88885b3bd004e1629dc13fe0a016b802.jpg

Reactions: Kyle76

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
That’s great, given how wall worts can fall out of older plugs, especially with the weight of 3-4 cords attached. Think I’ll order.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I ordered one. It’s really fast charging the new iPad 12.9, and I like that it’s not this large weighty object plugging directly into the outlet. I think it will be great for traveling when receptacles are not always in the most convenient places and it can be impossible to plug in a big hub with 3-4 cords attached.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
There are several requirements to achieve safe, secure, and accurate charging / quick charging / fast charging on our Apple devices. I highly recommend that you read the attached article, into not only the cord and the wattage. The charger also has to have PD V3.0 as well as the cord being certified.

What is PD V3.0

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I ordered one. It’s really fast charging the new iPad 12.9, and I like that it’s not this large weighty object plugging directly into the outlet. I think it will be great for traveling when receptacles are not always in the most convenient places and it can be impossible to plug in a big hub with 3-4 cords attached.

I travel with a multi-port "desktop" charger that uses a detachable cord. No doubt in my mind that's the better way to go.

Sometimes, outlets can be located in inconvenient, hard to reach places that don't have much space around them.

A wall wart alone might not fit, but a wart, plus an international plug adapter is even less likely to. Especially those brick-like gizmo monstrosities that litter Amazon.

Being able to place the charger in a convenient place also pays dividends by allowing one to carry shorter cables, which are more compact, and less costly. No need to buy or take along multiple 6- or 10-foot cables and have them all running to the wall outlet. One cord runs from the outlet to the desktop charger, and can be used with the typical bundled 3-foot cables on hand.

Travel frequently enough to a particular place, and buying an extra C7 figure-eight cord with the appropriate local plug can also relieve one of having to carry a plug adapter altogether.

I've had my eye on the RP charger pictured above, since I acquited an iPad Pro. When travel picks up again, I see one in my future.

Reactions: Davidalan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.