Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
Using my leftovr Birthday money (after putting some in the bank- $150) I want to buy something. My parents got me a 4GB Nano, Razr, Tiger and gave me some cash. The rest of my family for the most part gave me cash.

I have $300. I am thinking of getting maybe an LCD- a refurb 17" Dell UltraSharp ($239) or a 17" LG Flatron from newegg ($259 after rebates).

I am also thinking that instead I should get the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II from amazon.com for $80+13.50 shipping. I am also interested in Grand Theft Auto.

I can't use my 21" CRT in my room anymore because of the setup of my room in my new house. So a 17" LCD might be nice because my PB is only a 12".

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
save the majority of it, trust me.

could always donate some of it too, there are a lot of people needing the help right now.

why can't you use the CRT anymore?

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
A 21" CRT sounds like a good monitor. I say save the money for something else that is better. If you want an LCD that bad, I would say for the Dell 2005FPW or the bigger 24" one. Going from a 21" to a 17" might seem like a downgrade that cost money.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Maybe sell the 21" CRT, since you can't use it anymore, and save up for something bigger?

A car for next year maybe? *checks age in sig*

C

CompUser

Original poster
katie ta achoo said:
Maybe sell the 21" CRT, since you can't use it anymore, and save up for something bigger?

A car for next year maybe? *checks age in sig*

The CRT does not fit into my built in desk area. There is like a bay window type thing in my room that has a granite countertop that is a desk. Nice view out the window. CRT would block view and would not fit well on desk.

Car wise, I'm either getting our 3rd car which is a White 02 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 or my dad's 03 White Land Rover Discovery SE-7.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
CompUser said:
The CRT does not fit into my built in desk area. There is like a bay window type thing in my room that has a granite countertop that is a desk. Nice view out the window. CRT would block view and would not fit well on desk.

Car wise, I'm either getting our 3rd car which is a White 02 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 or my dad's 03 White Land Rover Discovery SE-7.

Oh.. well save up money for insurance payments and gas money?

If you can't find anything you really want, don't spend money just to spend it.

Maybe give some to a charity? You'll get some good karma. :)

captainwinky

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
CompUser said:
Using my leftovr Birthday money (after putting some in the bank- $150) I want to buy something. My parents got me a 4GB Nano, Razr, Tiger and gave me some cash. The rest of my family for the most part gave me cash.

I have $300. I am thinking of getting maybe an LCD- a refurb 17" Dell UltraSharp ($239) or a 17" LG Flatron from newegg ($259 after rebates).

I am also thinking that instead I should get the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II from amazon.com for $80+13.50 shipping. I am also interested in Grand Theft Auto.

I can't use my 21" CRT in my room anymore because of the setup of my room in my new house. So a 17" LCD might be nice because my PB is only a 12".

Don't get a 17" flat panel. I have gotten 2 Dell 2005FPWs (1 9 months ago and one 4 months ago) for $500 and $450 after tax and shipping. Save the money and get a nice screen. 17ers are small these days...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
CompUser said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You're kidding right? Your folks are just giving you a car?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Hmm.. Just a thought --

invest in the stock market a little. It can be real fun. :):):)
:D:D

...I love investing.

then, when you increase your $, keep some, give some to charity (I count as a charity, BTW. Just sayin'), and you'll have that much more experience that you can use later on.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
if getting a dell i would say wait and buy the 20" widescreen... but from your sig i see that you are in the XGA range ... 15"LCD/12" ... 17" will be still look large for some time atleast! ... check this widescreen LCD from best buy for 200 bucks... with DVI and stuff .. (if you are thinking of a dell 17" get only the 1704 ultra sharp one ... other 1703 is not that good ... ihad both) ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196394&type=product&id=1112808997046

and i am sure if you are getting a LandRover or a V8 SUV ... you probably have a digital camera + video cam etc ... and pretty soon will be getting more cash ! ;) :D

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
CompUser said:
My parents got me a 4GB Nano, Razr, Tiger and gave me some cash. The rest of my family for the most part gave me cash.

Your parents love ya so very much...

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Wow I got a hundred bucks and I dont even get allowance... not gonna get a car either... have to pay for insurance when I get my license. how I loathe you ;)

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
Hmm.. Just a thought --

invest in the stock market a little. It can be real fun. :):):)
:D:D

...I love investing.

then, when you increase your $, keep some, give some to charity (I count as a charity, BTW. Just sayin'), and you'll have that much more experience that you can use later on.

buy low sell high

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
AP_piano295 said:
Wow I got a hundred bucks and I dont even get allowance... not gonna get a car either... have to pay for insurance when I get my license. how I loathe you ;)

I think that you are very smart with your decision to not purchase a car. They are a loosing proposition from the start. Are you able to use a bus? Good luck with your decision.

C

CompUser

Original poster
I'm sure that your parents are home though for dinner.

My dad gets home at 8:00pm (leaves at 5:00am) and my mom gets home at 6:30 sometimes 7:00. My mom is a pediatrician and my dad works 1.5hrs away and he is a VP or something at a company that manufactures power plant equipment. For the first 12 years of my life I had a nanny.

All I can say nicely is what one of my teachers says: "You get out of life what you put into it". My dad went to Duke and my mom became a doctor.

They bought my sister a new Jeep Wranger Sport when she graduated high school (she drove our grand cherokee). She was #1 out of 200 students and now goes to a very good college.

and no I do not get an allowance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.