Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrtemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
I've spent the last few years developing iPhone apps and wish to get back into web design (where I got my start). I have 10+ years of experience, a large portfolio, references, and a computer science degree.

My primary clients are smaller law firms. I currently charge around $5,000 (my best package) for the following:

- WordPress based website using off the shelf theme with full customization
- Professional logo done by my graphic designer
- 10-pages of SEO optimized written content done by a professional writer (includes research, etc.)
- Setup of 10 web pages
- Stock photos
- Onsite 3-hour client tutorial
- 1-Year support and updates
- Additional SEO stuff: submission to local business listings, code optimization, analytics reports, etc.

Is this a fair price for both my client and I? I prefer to charge a fixed price.

What are other professionals charging for similar services?

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Sounds super cheap without knowing more details. I'd assume 2k for the logo and anywhere from $1000-1500 for the written content depending how much the client provided, SEO alone could be several thousand, and that's all before any development.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Too many variables to give a decent answer to this, but if:
a) this is a client that you're friends/aquaintances with or want to do further business with
b) you want to have more businesses like that becoming your client
c) the clients in your area don't have that much money to spend
then it might reasonable to charge what you are charging.
In the end it comes down to that and if you're happy with your rates/lifestyle.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
In my mind it depends in your skill level, overheads (eg how much are you paying for content and graphic design), and your hours invested in making the site.

I generally charge piece work, but it's been a long time perfecting that science to give my client great results as well as put food on the table at a fair rate.

JayBayAye8

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
I do "from the ground up" custom themes with backend changes, security, and speed optimization for $2,500, just to give you some context. I can get about any project done in 2 weeks. It's not bad, but I really should charge more. You seem to be in the right zone to maximize profit and get past too much friction in the buyer.

bobbydaz

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
UK
Sounds super cheap without knowing more details. I'd assume 2k for the logo and anywhere from $1000-1500 for the written content depending how much the client provided, SEO alone could be several thousand, and that's all before any development.

Wow I need to move the US, in the UK I would never get any business at those prices! It all depends on A) your clients budget and B) your own outgoings. I’m a small 1 man business that works from a home office with low running costs so I can offer websites at a lower price that the bigger local design studios. The service I offer is equally as good as the bigger guys but I don’t have staff to pay, rent and rates to worry about, hence my hourly rate is lower.

I base my charges on the size of the client and their budget. You can’t have a flat rate across the board that applies to all. A new one man start up can’t afford 5k on a website, but a larger established business can.

I do find pricing the hardest most frustrating part of running a business. Have I gone it too high, too low, it’s a constant balancing act of getting new clients onboard without giving your services away for peanuts.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Wow I need to move the US, in the UK I would never get any business at those prices! It all depends on A) your clients budget and B) your own outgoings. I’m a small 1 man business that works from a home office with low running costs so I can offer websites at a lower price that the bigger local design studios. The service I offer is equally as good as the bigger guys but I don’t have staff to pay, rent and rates to worry about, hence my hourly rate is lower.

I base my charges on the size of the client and their budget. You can’t have a flat rate across the board that applies to all. A new one man start up can’t afford 5k on a website, but a larger established business can.

I do find pricing the hardest most frustrating part of running a business. Have I gone it too high, too low, it’s a constant balancing act of getting new clients onboard without giving your services away for peanuts.
I do vary my rates a bit depending on client, but looking at sheer number of hours there comes a point where you need to charge what you're worth, and that may mean you just can't work for some clients.

If I'm going to create a fairly simple website for a client, that'll involve a few hours of e-mails and research/planning (4 hours), at least a day of design (8 hours), probably 2-3 days of initial build time (20 hours), another 4-6 hours of revisions, and that's not including emails back and forth, troubleshooting, tweaks, changes from the client, etc.

We're looking at something in the 40 hour range for that, and then if they want a logo (20-25 hours), written content (4-8 hours depending on how technical the content is), SEO (15-20 hours? not my area of expertise), plus updates/edits/maintenance, you're easily at 80 hours plus. At 50/hr that puts you in the $4000 range assuming everything goes really smoothly. And I'm probably low on the SEO and technical writing estimates.

All that to say I might do a basic website for someone for $2k if it's something pretty straightforward, but they sure aren't getting an identity package, SEO, other marketing, etc. for that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.