Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Yeah, so I have an iPad mini 6 and it’s quickly running out of space. I have 200GB of iCloud Storage, but it seems my apps are what’s taking up so much room, but I use them regularly. Should I just opt to get a portable SSD? It was either going to be that or trade it in at Best Buy for $300. What to do?!

Reactions: ackmondual

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You have to upgrade to another iPad with higher capacity. There‘s no other option.
iCloud storage is, for the most part, for photos and backups. All iOS apps are installed locally, including their own local ”documents and data”.

Reactions: KaliYoni

aperfectcircle

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Unfortunately, I bought the 64GB version. Big mistake.
Upgrade time, bro. Ain’t no other option that’s going to sort this for you long term. 64GB just isn’t usable these days. iCloud can offload some stuff - you can get it store your photos and keep a smaller thumbnail on the device, you can get it to offload apps not used often, but with 64GB you’re going to be in a never ending battle.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Many do this mistake with their first iPad.... I did it with my mini 2 8 years ago getting 16GB storage. Corrected the mistake with the mini 4 (64GB) but made the mistake again with the mini 5 thinking 64 would be enough. Times have changes. Nowadays for me even 128GB feels too tight (although clearly more usable than 64). My comfortable starting point has become 256GB.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I guess it all depends what you do with your iPad.
I spent years and years using various iPads with 16GB of storage and only towards the end did that seem pushing my luck, but that was actually because iOS itself had ballooned so there was progressively less and less space for apps and data.
Currently I own a 64GB iPad 9, used mostly for content consumption, and the amount of space I've consumed looks like a mobility scooter in an abandoned aircraft hangar. I could easily have got away with a 32GB version, even though no such version exists.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Many do this mistake with their first iPad.... I did it with my mini 2 8 years ago getting 16GB storage. Corrected the mistake with the mini 4 (64GB) but made the mistake again with the mini 5 thinking 64 would be enough. Times have changes. Nowadays for me even 128GB feels too tight (although clearly more usable than 64). My comfortable starting point has become 256GB.

Too true. My first was a 32GB iPad 2 (middle tier) but I immediately filled that up and ended up ordering a 64GB within a couple of days. Even with 64GB, I still had to swap out content quite often.

Mind, even back then I was already hoping for 500GB-1TB to store a good portion of my manga collection on.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Sure i would like to have Mini 6 with 128GB storage, but im more then fine with 64GB, and still having 40 GB free. On the other hand, 8GB RAM would be nice to have. ;)

Unfortunately, I bought the 64GB version. Big mistake.
Sell it and get the 256GB version instead…

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
There’s little tricks you can do to help in the storage issue. I’m using an iPad Pro 10.5 and I find that after using certain apps and such, the storage bar only appears that the storage is being used, when in fact, I deleted long video files etc.
I think it’s just how iOS allocates ram and such. So I regularly delete and reinstall Files, iMovie, and turn off and on iCloud Drive. Suddenly, I have lot more storage. It only takes a minute to do.
See if the apps using the most storage are the culprit of this bug, and try deleting and redownloading.
That said, there is no replacement of just having a good amount of internal space. I do a bunch of video so it’s 512 and up for me for now on

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
There’s little tricks you can do to help in the storage issue. I’m using an iPad Pro 10.5 and I find that after using certain apps and such, the storage bar only appears that the storage is being used, when in fact, I deleted long video files etc.
I think it’s just how iOS allocates ram and such. So I regularly delete and reinstall Files, iMovie, and turn off and on iCloud Drive. Suddenly, I have lot more storage. It only takes a minute to do.
See if the apps using the most storage are the culprit of this bug, and try deleting and redownloading.
That said, there is no replacement of just having a good amount of internal space. I do a bunch of video so it’s 512 and up for me for now on
this is a good workaround but is a real shame of apple.

having to go through this much work would really cripple the experience for me. i get that apple is a company that needs to make money but forcing consumers (who are prob not knowledgeable about storage needs) to offload an download apps and files for space is fairly frustrating. i understand their logic, customers will get upset, go to apple and upgrade for a bigger device causing apple to make more money - but it is still a frustrating user experience.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
worth having a look at whats taking up the space just in case.

a biggy for me at one stage was an incredible amount of podcasts, think it was 20gb of them. basically the apple podcasts app when you subscribe to a podcast, the default setting is download all, and delete when listened to. there were quite a few podcasts that i sometimes listen to but not always, including a nightly football phone in that i often listen to live, and my phone was just filled with podcasts. i wish i could set it so the default was keep latest.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Doesn’t always work. I once deleted an app with around 8GB data to clear up space so I can install Genshin Impact and the deleted data just got moved to Other. I tried restarting, etc but it wouldn’t clear the cache.

I didn’t have time to wait for Apple’s garbage collection to kick in so I ended up just doing a backup and restore of the iPad.

• Wow
Reactions: ackmondual

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
this is a good workaround but is a real shame of apple.

having to go through this much work would really cripple the experience for me. i get that apple is a company that needs to make money but forcing consumers (who are prob not knowledgeable about storage needs) to offload an download apps and files for space is fairly frustrating. i understand their logic, customers will get upset, go to apple and upgrade for a bigger device causing apple to make more money - but it is still a frustrating user experience.
I should add that this issue isnt as much of a problem on my iPhone 11… it seems to clear the cache more consistently. So I think it depends on the device, and perhaps the age of the device. In any case, it’s just part of the process for me at this point and Im used to it. Not knowing what the original poster is specifically doing or apps e or she is using, it’s hard to diagnose.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I guess it all depends what you do with your iPad.
I spent years and years using various iPads with 16GB of storage and only towards the end did that seem pushing my luck, but that was actually because iOS itself had ballooned so there was progressively less and less space for apps and data.
Currently I own a 64GB iPad 9, used mostly for content consumption, and the amount of space I've consumed looks like a mobility scooter in an abandoned aircraft hangar. I could easily have got away with a 32GB version, even though no such version exists.

One's approach for storage needs will generally fall somewhere between these two. You'll want to "go big" if you see yourself taking lots of pictures and videos on it and/or they're high quality (probably more so a thing on iPhones, but work with me here...). Have LOTS of apps. Have lots of files, documents, and multimedia. For video gaming, there are apps that are a mere 50 to 400MB. However, some of them can be in excess of 4 to 9 GB apiece.

For me, I faced the same dilemma when purchasing my 9th gen iPad. 64 or 256 GB? I went with the former. For me, my iPad is pretty much a video gaming device for mobile, tablet, and some iOS only games on the more casual side. Many of my video games are digital board games which are relatively smaller. I don't use it for much anything else. The 2 curveballs ended up being...
1) Apple Arcade
I did the free trial, and yeah, some of the games do cross into the 2 to 8 GB territories.
2) Apple TV (the app and the streaming service)
Also had a free trial of this. I'm able to stream ATV+ from a Firefox browser on a Windows machine, so I didn't need the app. That said, when I was on travel and close to the end of my trial, I ended up bumming off wifi at a cafe, and a supermarket so I could finish up some stuff. I could've also downloaded some shows and movies for offline viewing.

For AA, getting 256 would've put issues of that at ease for sure. For ATV+, I don't really travel, but if I did, 64 GB makes downloading offline videos practically a nonstarter. However, I was annoyed that going from 64 to 256 would've been another $150! I would've liked the option to only pay half that to get only half the storage. It's a bit of a "chicken or egg" situation where I ask myself if I'm not using the iPad much, nor getting back into AA b/c my storage is on the lower side, or is it that I don't use it much, so good thing I choose the lower storage option. Time will tell. :\ I'm still holding off on resubbing to AA since Im more heavily into streaming services these days

Reactions: MajorFubar

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
One's approach for storage needs will generally fall somewhere between these two. You'll want to "go big" if you see yourself taking lots of pictures and videos on it and/or they're high quality (probably more so a thing on iPhones, but work with me here...). Have LOTS of apps. Have lots of files, documents, and multimedia. For video gaming, there are apps that are a mere 50 to 400MB. However, some of them can be in excess of 4 to 9 GB apiece.

For me, I faced the same dilemma when purchasing my 9th gen iPad. 64 or 256 GB? I went with the former. For me, my iPad is pretty much a video gaming device for mobile, tablet, and some iOS only games on the more casual side. Many of my video games are digital board games which are relatively smaller. I don't use it for much anything else. The 2 curveballs ended up being...

Genshin Impact needs more than 18GB. :p

Initial App store download of 3.5GB + additional ~15GB in-app full download.

However, I was annoyed that going from 64 to 256 would've been another $150! I would've liked the option to only pay half that to get only half the storage.

Yeah. Based on iPhone pricing, the 128GB model would only be $50 more than the 64GB version.

Personally, I would’ve preferred if Apple had just done:

iPad mini 6
128GB $549 (base)
256GB $649

iPad Air 5
128GB $649 (base)
256GB $749

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Genshin Impact needs more than 18GB. :p

Initial App store download of 3.5GB + additional ~15GB in-app full download.
Ugh... I hate it when they do that, but IIRC, there are limits to what they can do "up front" given mobile app store policies (this happens on Android as well). Still, a rule-of-thumb could easily be to just double the storage you think you'll need as a base requirement.

On a related note, a recent sort of example would be Monster Hunter: Rise for Switch. The expansions actually more than doubles the storage!

Yeah. Based on iPhone pricing, the 128GB model would only be $50 more than the 64GB version.

Personally, I would’ve preferred if Apple had just done:

iPad mini 6
128GB $549 (base)
256GB $649

iPad Air 5
128GB $649 (base)
256GB $749
I would've totally jumped on +$50 to go from 64 to 128 GB. 128 was enough when I was on my iPad Air (1st gen from 2013, purchased used).

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Still, a rule-of-thumb could easily be to just double the storage you think you'll need as a base requirement.

Lol, my rule of thumb pre-1TB was to just get max capacity available. I have enough content that I’d like to keep locally on the iPad that having too much storage is never an issue.

The limited storage space wasn’t on my main iPads. :p

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.