Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Yesterday, my 2018 iPad Pro stopped charging. I tried all the troubleshooting steps, but no luck. I was trying to hold out for the new version coming in the next few months, but I couldn't, so today I picked up my new M2 iPad Pro. I fortunately had my old iPad on automatic backup so I've now setup my new iPad and it's great. But my old iPad has about 8% left on the battery and I'm wondering if I should try to reset to factory settings and if that is even possible. I don't think it can be repaired for a reasonable price or even at all. Any suggestions what to do with it? Any help appreciated!

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I had just enough battery left to erase the iPad so now I just need to figure out how to get rid of it responsibly. My city has electronics recycling every 2-3 months so I'm going to check into that. It sure would be nice to just replace the battery for a reasonable price because it's otherwise in excellent condition.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I had just enough battery left to erase the iPad so now I just need to figure out how to get rid of it responsibly. My city has electronics recycling every 2-3 months so I'm going to check into that. It sure would be nice to just replace the battery for a reasonable price because it's otherwise in excellent condition.
Why get rid of it? For $119 Apple will replace the battery. The 2018 Pro is still good today, especially since you can bring it back to spec for relatively cheap.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 00.37.21.png

If it turns out to be the USB-C plug

Reactions: stephg

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Why get rid of it? For $119 Apple will replace the battery. The 2018 Pro is still good today, especially since you can bring it back to spec for relatively cheap.

My understanding is they swap out a refurbished iPad and that it costs a lot more than that, but I'll check into it. Thanks!

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple won't do any battery service if the device does not turn on. At this point I would leave it plugged in for a couple of days, if it does not turn on, I would consider it dead.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Apple won't do any battery service if the device does not turn on. At this point I would leave it plugged in for a couple of days, if it does not turn on, I would consider it dead.
Thanks for the info!

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Well, in an unexpected twist, even though I tried multiple cords and power adapters I decided to try plugging it in again after erasing it. And it's charging! (With the same cord and power adapter it was on when it stopped charging.) Up to 24% right now. So bizarre. I guess maybe resetting it fixed whatever was wrong? So I'm going to let it charge fully and then let it sit for a couple of days, and do that a few times. If it seems okay, it will go to my husband to use which was the original plan anyway (he has my old 2nd gen iPad Pro right now which doesn't hold a charge very well). I was trying to hold out for the next generation, but the M2 is fabulous, so I'm happy with it. I hope the old one keeps working for awhile!

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Yesterday, my 2018 iPad Pro stopped charging. I tried all the troubleshooting steps, but no luck. I was trying to hold out for the new version coming in the next few months, but I couldn't, so today I picked up my new M2 iPad Pro. I fortunately had my old iPad on automatic backup so I've now setup my new iPad and it's great. But my old iPad has about 8% left on the battery and I'm wondering if I should try to reset to factory settings and if that is even possible. I don't think it can be repaired for a reasonable price or even at all. Any suggestions what to do with it? Any help appreciated!
My iPad Air v1 is in similar condition. Just use it plugged in. Works for fixed locations and especially well as a music source.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
My understanding is they swap out a refurbished iPad and that it costs a lot more than that, but I'll check into it. Thanks!
It doesn't. They call it "battery service" but, because they don't build the devices responsibly, it's easier for them to give you a surplus/refurbished iPad of the same kind than to open it up and swap the battery. I did this a couple of years ago for my iPad. You basically get a brand-new-looking device.

Looks can be deceiving. The first refurb they gave me had major issues (e.g., a wonky Home button and an intermittently non-responsive screen), but they swapped it again for me and all has been well since.

If I were you I'd get your '18 iPad Pro serviced, return the M2, buy the 2024 iPad when it comes out, and sell the new-ish '18. But heck, at least don't let it go to waste.

If all else fails, all the Best Buys in my area take electronics for recycling for free.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Ideally get the battery replaced and return the M2 iPad if it's still within the return period. For an off the wall idea assuming you cant get the battery replaced for ABC reason and the actual problem is the USB C port, try to find a second hand apple keyboard. You can charge your iPad Pro via the left usb c port on the keyboard if im not mistaken.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
So far it's been unplugged since last night and it's at about 96% from 100% last night. Go figure.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
If I were you I'd get your '18 iPad Pro serviced, return the M2, buy the 2024 iPad when it comes out, and sell the new-ish '18. But heck, at least don't let it go to waste.
As of now it's working, so it won't go to waste. Hopefully it keeps working because up until that failure to charge, the battery life was pretty good. If it stops charging, I will recycle it. I'm keeping the M2 either way.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
It's possible that you have an intermittently functional charging cable--one that is positional, charging if it's in exactly the correct position but not if you wiggle it ever so slightly. That or a loose charging port.

I seem to recall an iPad mini (not sure which gen now) that I thought had given up the ghost. Then I replaced the charging cable (original cable looked intact) and was able to resurrect it. Now, whenever my current mini (a mini 6) fails to start charging more than a few times, I just swap out the cable. I buy Apple branded charging cables inexpensively at OWC, so I now have a whole drawer full of new charging cables (of various kinds) to facilitate this.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
It's possible that you have an intermittently functional charging cable--one that is positional, charging if it's in exactly the correct position but not if you wiggle it ever so slightly. That or a loose charging port.

I seem to recall an iPad mini (not sure which gen now) that I thought had given up the ghost. Then I replaced the charging cable (original cable looked intact) and was able to resurrect it. Now, whenever my current mini (a mini 6) fails to start charging more than a few times, I just swap out the cable. I buy Apple branded charging cables inexpensively at OWC, so I now have a whole drawer full of new charging cables (of various kinds) to facilitate this.
I tried a few different cables, so I don't think that's it. It could be the port. But it is currently working so I guess I'll see if it stops charging again. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.