Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prog99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Northern Scotland
Due to upgrades I've the following gathering dust in my office. Is there still a market for them? The quad core cpu upgrade looked awesome but beyond my abilities.

Stock 2011 i7 with 8gb ram, 128gb ssd and a dead battery
Upgraded 2012 i7 with 16gb ram, 2x500gb ssd. Battery holds a charge for about an hour or so. This quite happily ran Sonoma as my day to day laptop.

Orders are to get rid of them so keeping them isn't an option! I also live in the uk and haven't found a charity or anything to donate them to.

Cheers.

Reactions: DCBassman

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I was going to say keep the 2012 i7, but then you are already ordered to toss both...

I myself have an 2011 13" i7, battery dead and just recently got a 3rd party replacement for less than 20 bucks. Been on 16GB since ages ago (I shuffle RAM between this and some 2012 minis), also had the 2nd optical bay be a SATA caddy many years ago without issues.

The machine has had multiple roles after being off active-duty. The inability to run past 10.13 without patch happens to coincide with the fact that 10.15 later cannot run 32bit apps, so I leave mine at 10.13 for as a legacy app launcher. Also being one of the last batch of MacBooks with built-in ethernet, it is a handy machine to quickly trouble shoot network issues. Performance wise it is nothing to write home about, and with the advent of recent web 3.0 requirements it will struggle even just being a day to day browsing machine. I could have sold it long time ago but have fond memories with how much money it made me in its hayday to the point it has earned a life long pension at my house.

In UK don't you have a pretty good 2nd hand Mac market due to limited supply?

p33t3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
Upgraded 2012 i7 with 16gb ram, 2x500gb ssd. Battery holds a charge for about an hour or so. This quite happily ran Sonoma as my day to day laptop.
Are you quite sure this mac ran Sonoma? 2018 is the earliest Sonoma-compatible MBP according to Apple. IIRC Catalina is the last compatible OS for these machines.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I'm also interested in this topic. I have a late-2013 MBP with a smashed screen, so has no resale value.

For fun, I've used OCLP to upgrade it to Sonoma and it works well connected via HDMI to a monitor or TV. I've no idea what to use it for though. I could use it as a music or video streamer I suppose, but I can just use my current MBA for that.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Both of these are getting to be just "too old".

If it was me (I realize that you ARE NOT "me"), I'd take all three SSDs out (for re-purposing), and just hand off "the remains" to a computer recycling place.

Perhaps a 3rd party repair shop that deals in Macs might want "the carcasses".

But again... KEEP the drives (even the 128gb one) for "new lives" elsewhere.
You'll find a use for them.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
All summer my 2 older MacBooks sat in their boxes resting until I found use for them

So just find a use for them

prog99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Northern Scotland
Are you quite sure this mac ran Sonoma? 2018 is the earliest Sonoma-compatible MBP according to Apple. IIRC Catalina is the last compatible OS for these machines.
Apologies,Ventura but I think Sonoma is useable too with OCLP. Theres a huge thread all about it elsewhere

prog99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Northern Scotland
Both of these are getting to be just "too old".

If it was me (I realize that you ARE NOT "me"), I'd take all three SSDs out (for re-purposing), and just hand off "the remains" to a computer recycling place.

Perhaps a 3rd party repair shop that deals in Macs might want "the carcasses".

But again... KEEP the drives (even the 128gb one) for "new lives" elsewhere.
You'll find a use for them.
Thanks, thats what I am angling for, I still have the original spinning disc from the 2012 model. I live in the sticks (by uk standards) so theres not much in the way of local places I could get rid off. eBay will hammer me for postage and also dealing with idiots who don't know what they are buying..

reppresident

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2023
Rio de Janeiro _ Brasil
Due to upgrades I've the following gathering dust in my office. Is there still a market for them? The quad core cpu upgrade looked awesome but beyond my abilities.

Orders are to get rid of them so keeping them isn't an option! I also live in the uk and haven't found a charity or anything to donate them to.

Cheers.
if you do want to give those for charity, im happily pay for the shipment to Brazil. i have a few friends who will be amazed to work music production with those machines. you would be like santas for us for real.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Post this in the Early Intel Macs subforum here and you'll likely get more takers.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
if you do want to give those for charity, im happily pay for the shipment to Brazil. i have a few friends who will be amazed to work music production with those machines. you would be like santas for us for real.
my friends in Costa Rica are using my old G4 igloo iMac in a medical clinic since they have the software here.
as well as my old iPhone5 and some touches.
they found a way to update these recently as well!

Reactions: reppresident

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK

Cheers.

I'm in UK, albeit at the other end. Will happily pay whatever courier fees would get them to me, plus what ever you think they're worth. Good idea to keep the SSDs, whatever you decide.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
I'd say list them on eBay, you'd be surprised how much they still go for! I know you'd prefer not to but the buyer pays postage and it'll be about £10-15 for postage.

Your 2012 will sell for ~£120 and the 2011 ~£80 I reckon.

I'm looking to get rid of a 2011 Mac mini too that has 128Gb SSD and 4Gb RAM. Sadly these old mini's don't sell as well as the laptops though!

prog99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Northern Scotland
Thanks for everyone’s advice. In the end I pulled the 2nd ssd from the 2012 and popped the dvd drive back in (forgotten how fiddly that was!)
I found a local charity who will check them over , wipe them and either resell or reuse for local community projects.
I’m happy with that as they do good work and were super friendly when I dropped by today.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Thanks for everyone’s advice. In the end I pulled the 2nd ssd from the 2012 and popped the dvd drive back in (forgotten how fiddly that was!)
I found a local charity who will check them over , wipe them and either resell or reuse for local community projects.
I’m happy with that as they do good work and were super friendly when I dropped by today.

Definitely a good move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.