Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperSonic182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
New Mexico
My mbp has the 2.5 quad-core i7, 16gb of ram, and 2gb AMD R9.

I don’t quite understand the new M1. People are raving over it, and that excitement is great, but I don’t know how to compare that to more traditional hardware.

Is a Mac Mini M1 an all around upgrade for me? I was about to buy a 5k iMac. Seems many people don’t know how that’s going to go with this transition taking place.

I use Logic, make YouTube videos, and some dev. I do play games like Diablo 2/4 and WoW, but less these days. If possible I’d like to retain that functionality, but I have a PC if worst comes to worst. I definitely want graphics capability and processing.

I just want a beast Mac. Even overkill would be cool to me. I just can’t go too far over $3k. If I did that I’d be looking at the 7,1 Mac Pro! :)

Thanks for any thoughts!! I really need help relating the Apple Silicon to standard PC stuff I can more understand.

millertimer

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2021
I've been away from the mac conversations for awhile...what is this transition taking place you speak of? You can message me if this is too much of a thread derailment. Thanks!

SuperSonic182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
New Mexico
I've been away from the mac conversations for awhile...what is this transition taking place you speak of? You can message me if this is too much of a thread derailment. Thanks!
I’m referring to Apple ditching Intel in favor of their own M1 chips etc.

At first I was considering upgrading a 5,1 and some people assured me it would be slow and showing its age.

Now I’m looking for modern options, but I don’t know what hardware matches my desire for computing and gpu power.

I don’t really like how it appears Apple has gone full-on integrated gpu, and I don’t know if it matters. I’ve always thought you wanted a discrete gpu. Are things like the M1 somehow rising above that principle? What sort of cpu/gpu setup does an M1 compare to?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
It's better to wait for the M1 successor that will be in the 16" MacBook Pro and iMac 27" (or 30"? who knows).
There are so many comprising online, just google them :p

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My 2015 MacBook Pro is doing fine, and I WOULD NOT consider replacing it with ANY m1 series Mac.

Not yet.
M-x in the future?
Possible.
But... not now.

SuperSonic182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
New Mexico
You'll need to do specific research on the software you use to find out the compatibility with Apple Silicon Macs.
I specifically use Apple apps. That’s why the only considerations I’m making regard how this M1 configuration compares to a standard config like my MacBook.

As I’ve said the biggest thing I’m having trouble with is how this compares. Is this “8-core cpu/gpu/ram” thing really smoking my laptop, or am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.