Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Okay, I finally broke down and picked up a high end gaming console to go along with my Wii, an XBox 360 Elite. I can play Call of Duty on my MBP and 30", but it's just not the same and lacks sheer gaming power (not like I bought it for gaming or anything). So I now have an XBox 360+COD3+Oblivion+GOW. That's great, but I've heard that it can do so much more.

I'm a newbie when it comes to going beyond gaming in game consoles, so teach me anything and everything about what the 360 is capable of media-wise, especially when it comes to learning tricks from my Mac!

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Streaming is probably the extent of the "ooh ahh" factor. :D

Doesn't support any video format except .wmv I believe.
You need an update to use iTunes AAC files (available free of charge).

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
With the Spring Update coming sometime in May, Xbox 360 will support H.264 (Baseline, Main and High Profile) and MPEG-4 Part 2.

Streaming is probably the extent of the "ooh ahh" factor. :D

Doesn't support any video format except .wmv I believe.
You need an update to use iTunes AAC files (available free of charge).

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
With the Spring Update coming sometime in May, Xbox 360 will support H.264 (Baseline, Main and High Profile) and MPEG-4 Part 2.

Yep. Nullriver have just released an update for Connect360 which now supports streaming these added formats to the 360.

I've been using Connect360 since I got my 360 5 months ago and it works great. The only problem I have is down to the 360. I have Connect360 running on both my Mac Mini and my Macbook Pro. Ideally, I'd like the 360 to present a list of machines that are available to stream from and let me browse them. However, Microsoft's slightly bone-headed design means that you have to wade through menus to 'disconnect' from one machine and link it to the other each time I want to stream from a different machine.

(on the plus side, the Spring update has made the dashboard a little less cumbersome to navigate with the new Marketplace blade. It's still not particularly slick in any way other than visual, unfortunately)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.