Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of computer cases do you like?

• The large case where I can put inside all my expansion cards

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • The small case to connect many devices and keep all cables on my desk

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other (leave a comment)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mateo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hi

I get confused when I read comments that cases should be small and users should have a bunch of cables on their desks. I understand that some users like computers that are the size of a book. However, I already have enough cables on my desk, and I start to worry about a new Mac Pro.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I have a 7,1 and 2 5,1 Mac Pros. A 6,1 as well.

It’s a lot cleaner to have everything in one box. I dislike cables all over my desk.

Plus the 7,1 is beautiful to look at. It sits on my desk where it can be seen. :)

bmoraski

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
I have a 5,1, Full ATX pc, 2 Mid ATX pc's. I prefer Mid sized. May do a micro build in the near future.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Basically all I want is the inverse of the trashcan case design. Inside and out. Thank you!

mateo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
I remember when Apple was criticizing other companies because their computers on the desks look messy:

Now, Apple decided to prevent upgrading our computers, which means they "propagate" it by having a bunch of cables on our desks.

When did they decide to change it?

We have boring computers with M1/M2 processors, which look like giant spiders.

What happened with the esthetically pleasing design of Apple computers?

They are boring because this computer doesn't change after opening the box. They can be more powerful than Intel Macs. Unfortunately, I don't see too many things to be excited about them.

For example, it was crazy even for PC users how much RAM you can add to Mac Pro.

Why did Apple decide to focus on building more powerful computers than the previous generation?

It's not enough for computer enthusiasts.

Mac Studio is one of the most bizarre computers that was built by Apple. The case is big enough, and you can't add devices inside this computer. I don't even understand it.

Why didn't they use a small case for Mac Studio?

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
A slotbox, with all major component interconnections happening via cables that can be removed and replaced. No power via motherboard traces, no connection via proprietary plugs. An assembly scaffold of standards, so that a single failure requires the smallest possible amount of the device to be replaced.

Reactions: mikas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.