Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fancyscreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Shenzhen
People usually use tempered glass screen protectors, but tempered glass screen protectors are expensive, break easily, and feel average. Has anyone used TPU screen protectors? Can provide the following comments

Reactions: shinigamii

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
What tempered screen protectors are you using that are expensive? There's lots of affordable and good quality options. TPU is worse than tempered and not as good, it's literally plastic. If you want something really expensive but made of Sapphire get a Shellrus otherwise tempered is the most viable solution for a reason.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Wasn't aware that such a thing exists... thanks, now I'm really tempted to get one for myself. :rolleyes:
They’re neat and even have a cooling property due to the nature of sapphire so definitely a different touch experience. However, anything that has extremely high scratch resistance is more brittle so if you drop your phone a lot it’s not the best.

Reactions: dabotsonline

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
They’re neat and even have a cooling property due to the nature of sapphire so definitely a different touch experience. However, anything that has extremely high scratch resistance is more brittle so if you drop your phone a lot it’s not the best.
Sounds great. It's a shame they're charging ~58$ for shipment to Europe which brings the price for one of those up to ~130$. Sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: Splitrail

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
How does the oleophobic coating hold up?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
How is the oleophobic coating? Does it hold up well? That’s my main reason for using protectors. Hate the smudges that are constant after a few months - thus like to change them out and get that new feeling again.
I’ve been using some cheap anti-glare protectors for this reason. Feels great and smudges are few and far between. Outside of that I think they’re a waste as they’re so much more brittle than the Screen itself (not sure why Screen is a proper noun but hey, do your thing Apple).

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
Tech armor tempered glass. They’re flawless, comes in 3 pack with a fool proof guide.

fancyscreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Shenzhen
It feels good to use the TPU screen protector recently, it feels very good, and the protection is also good.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I have always just used polyethylene terephthalate (PET) -- proabably for the last ten years. Cheap and easy to apply. Protects the screen from scratches and has great clarity. Replacement is easy and, again, cheap. This type of screen protector combined with a case to protect against a drop is really all I have ever needed to keep my phone in pristine condition.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have always just used polyethylene terephthalate (PET) -- proabably for the last ten years. Cheap and easy to apply. Protects the screen from scratches and has great clarity. Replacement is easy and, again, cheap. This type of screen protector combined with a case to protect against a drop is really all I have ever needed to keep my phone in pristine condition.
What brand do you prefer?

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I am using Shellrus Sapphire since 2 years (iPhone 12 Pro and then iPhone 13 Pro Max) and I can`t go back.
Yes, they cost a lot but I never broke one and I am still super happy. A lot less fingerprints than on my iPhone 12 Mini which I use for work.

But I can understand when People don`t want to spent that much on a screen Protector.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I am using Shellrus Sapphire since 2 years (iPhone 12 Pro and then iPhone 13 Pro Max) and I can`t go back.
Yes, they cost a lot but I never broke one and I am still super happy. A lot less fingerprints than on my iPhone 12 Mini which I use for work.

But I can understand when People don`t want to spent that much on a screen Protector.
I don’t mind paying if the oleophobic coating lasts well and does it’s job for a decent length of time. How is that holding up? With a normal glass protector, I find myself changing it out every couple months- hate the smudges when the coating starts to wear off.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
as what I read is that the sapphire Screen protectors does not have an oelophobic coating. The same effect is given by the sapphire itself. I can confirm that I do not have a lot of fingeprints compared to my iPhone 12mini with ESR on it.

Also wiping it down with a shirt cleans it completely. You can check out this Video if you want to know more.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
as what I read is that the sapphire Screen protectors does not have an oelophobic coating. The same effect is given by the sapphire itself. I can confirm that I do not have a lot of fingeprints compared to my iPhone 12mini with ESR on it.

Also wiping it down with a shirt cleans it completely. You can check out this Video if you want to know more.
Thanks for the link to the video. I ordered the Shellrus. I’ll report after I have it for awhile to determine if I would buy it again for my next phone.

Reactions: Cruncher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.