Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
I 'lost' 2 of the screws that hold the cover on my 2012 mini, I've been looking for sources but I'm not going to pay 20+ dollars for 3 screws. The cover is the rotate a bit to remove type.

Anyone know of a reasonable source or should I do plan 2 which is just glue on some velcro. The mini's just won't die and are still pretty amazing machines especially since I can drop in new hard drives and memory (up till 2018, I'm aware of that pain).

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
If you still have one left, then you can measures this to ascertain what replacement you need. It's very likely to be some generic size; for eg popular fixing screws can be designated with the letter 'M', so you get M2, M3, M4 etc, referring to the diameter of the screw thread itself (not the head). The screws you need have a head of approx 5, 5.5mm (I also have the 2012 MM, and I have lost one of the screws...), so might possibly be a custom screw, but unlikley. The thing to do is to measure the head of the remaining one carefully (with a Vernier calliper or similar accurate measuring tool) and the depth of the head too. Then try googling that, see what comes up. Chances are oyu'll find somethng suitable even if it's not quite exactly the same thing. I've found all sorts of fixings for things over the years. You could try a local suppliers if you have one; walk in and show them. The only problem might be the thread pitch; how many threads per mm. Good luck though!

EDIT: Here:

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I might have 2 since mine was scrapped by  recycling, and i kept some parts
let me check this evening because "ebuyz" wants 20$ per one.
there is a great site I used called beetstech, California well for $16 bucks...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I 'lost' 2 of the screws that hold the cover on my 2012 mini, I've been looking for sources but I'm not going to pay 20+ dollars for 3 screws. The cover is the rotate a bit to remove type.

Anyone know of a reasonable source or should I do plan 2 which is just glue on some velcro. The mini's just won't die and are still pretty amazing machines especially since I can drop in new hard drives and memory (up till 2018, I'm aware of that pain).
iFixit will generally give the exact screw size needed in its upgrade guides. You can probably trawl eBay or google for the cheapest local supplier of generics screws that fit.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
OUCH iFixit-editup has outrageous prices now, 59$ for a 12$ fan?
I understand wanting to fix things and the "right to repair" movement but the prices are criminal!
im glad I deleted my account with them this year.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
OUCH iFixit-editup has outrageous prices now, 59$ for a 12$ fan?
I understand wanting to fix things and the "right to repair" movement but the prices are criminal!
im glad I deleted my account with them this year.
But all they do is resell stuff they've scoured the internet to find. That's their business model. You can do the same; I have. They wanted something daft for a toolkit, so I looked and found the exact same thing for a fraction of their price.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
But all they do is resell stuff they've scoured the internet to find. That's their business model. You can do the same; I have. They wanted something daft for a toolkit, so I looked and found the exact same thing for a fraction of their price.
I think I purchased a part for the MacBook Pro or macmini 2012 once a coupler for $12 or second drive bay
then the price double month later.
their logic board prices are really gouging people but =they figure if a shop or pro needs THAT part....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.