Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
The lowest watt USB-C power adapters I can find are the Apple 20w and Anker 20w GaN.

I would prefer a 10w USB-C power adapter, however the only 10/12w adapters I can find are USB A.

I'm searching for the lowest possible watt output for a USB-C power adapter. Is it possible to get below 20w?

What USB-C power adapter has the lowest watt output?

Reactions: macsound1

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Nothing turned up on Amazon. Why would you want a lower power adapter anyway? I can't think of any good reason. But you can always buy a low power USB-A adapter with an A to C cable, or adapter.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
Nothing turned up on Amazon. Why would you want a lower power adapter anyway? I can't think of any good reason. But you can always buy a low power USB-A adapter with an A to C cable, or adapter.

When I charge my devices at night, I prefer low watt charging for long term battery preservation.

I currently use an Apple 10w USB-A power adapter, with a USB-A to Lightning cable for my iPhone.

I would prefer to use a USB-C power adapter, with a USB-C to Lightning cable, however it appears I'm limited to a 20w minimum.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
When I charge my devices at night, I prefer low watt charging for long term battery preservation.

I currently use an Apple 10w USB-A power adapter, with a USB-A to Lightning cable for my iPhone.

I would prefer to use a USB-C power adapter, with a USB-C to Lightning cable, however it appears I'm limited to a 20w minimum.
I too prefer my overnight charger to be low wattage for the exact reason you state. But why do you prefer a USB C adapter? If it’s always plugged in, just use the USB A…

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
I too prefer my overnight charger to be low wattage for the exact reason you state. But why do you prefer a USB C adapter? If it’s always plugged in, just use the USB A…

My current lifestyle is extremely mobile. Minimizing volume with accessories, cables, etc. as much as humanly possible.

For home use, using USB-A meets my goals perfectly.

But when I'm on the go, I would prefer USB-C because then I only need one charger and cable for everything.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Smallest I’ve seen is 18w, but I’ve never worried about a charger being “Too powerful” so a low-wattage charger is not something I’ve actively sought out.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
The lowest watt USB-C charger I've found is the Apple MagSafe wireless charger. Although Apple recommends pairing this with a 20w power adapter, the total power output for charging is 15w.

But for my mobile lifestyle, I prioritize better case protection, which doesn't have MagSafe charging. So looks like I'll be stuck with 20w for the simplest mobile lifestyle.

Thanks everyone.

Cerneka

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
The lowest watt USB-C power adapters I can find are the Apple 20w and Anker 20w GaN.

I would prefer a 10w USB-C power adapter, however the only 10/12w adapters I can find are USB A.

I'm searching for the lowest possible watt output for a USB-C power adapter. Is it possible to get below 20w?

What USB-C power adapter has the lowest watt output?
Hey, did you end up finding one? I’m in the market for one as well.

Reactions: kolebee

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Hey, did you end up finding one? I’m in the market for one as well.
Keep whatever 5-12W USB-A slow charger you have and just buy a USB-A to USB-C cable.

716ziB5YwpL.jpg

Reactions: jetsam

Cerneka

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
These are the two lowest watt USB C I’ve been able to find.

Samsung 15W Wall Charger Type C Only (Cable not Included), White

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Charger-Cable-Included-White/dp/B09JZZVSFF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.