Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
What's the latest version of GIMP to install on mid 2011 27" Aluminum iMac with Intel© Core™ i5-2500S CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4 running OSX 10.13.6

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
I tried installing 2.10.22 but got notice that it would not work with OSX 10.13.6, that it would not work with anything less than OS 11

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
If you install Homebrew (https://brew.sh/) you can install the latest version of GIMP that works with brew update && brew install --cask gimp in the Terminal. You will need the xcode command-line utilities installed but Homebrew with guide you through that when needed.

Reactions: splifingate

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Sorry but I do not want to open another can of worms, do this and then that. Much simpler to know which version works out of the box. At least you were good enough to say that you don't know what version. Maybe someone else will know.

• Angry
Reactions: Pierre535

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I do not know, nor do I (currently) use GIMP on Mac OS, but here it is:

Nevertheless (if you insist upon using GIMP in the Mac OS sphere (as ifrit05 already suggested)),

Bash:
# brew tap homebrew/cask && brew install --cask gimp

is probably gana give you the least amount of headaches ;)

GIMP was designed for an entirely different operating system, with a (somewhat) different rationale, and truly insists upon a set of philosophically operational parameters not-entirely conducive to using said software on an Apple comp.

You are the one choosing to "open another can of worms" by making the choice to install said soft on an OS that (if I may say, "lightly") runs counter to said soft.

I'd, personally, plop a Debian install onto the 2011 iMac, install GIMP, and enjoy the fruits ;)

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I hate to say it, but if you can't figure out which version works for you, there's no way in hell you're gonna figure out how to even use GIMP.

I myself got it installed just fine but gave up after an hour of trying to create a simple gradient.

It is not an intuitive piece of software by any stretch of the imagination.

Good luck. Just trying to save you some headache.

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
I have Linuxmint dual booted with OSX on this iMac. Indeed it was stupid simple to install GIMP on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.