Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Can someone help me out with this?

I cannot find the right version of Wine to run on my early 2011 MBP 17".

I tried one version of Darwine and it didn't work...

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
yeah, wine is not as useful as I thought it would be either. I installed it and try to get a few programs up and running. None of them really worked. Probably the best running was winamp, and that was very poorly running at best.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
yeah, wine is not as useful as I thought it would be either. I installed it and try to get a few programs up and running. None of them really worked. Probably the best running was winamp, and that was very poorly running at best.

A lot of the devs working on wine concentrate on gaming. Most of the stuff distributed by steam works pretty well. I played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 through wine, and it ran great. i also played through assassin's creed that way.

Wine is a tricky business, and it takes some involvement to use it because you have to tweak things to get some programs to work.

Windows is nasty and complex, and in order to not have to pay licensing fees to Microsoft all dlls in Wine are reverse engineered. Which isn't easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.