Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The recent MacRumors article about Apple's design team focusing on cutting costs made me think about the recent iPhones they've been putting out.

Don't get me wrong, cutting costs isn't always bad, especially in the economic climate the last few years.

I went from an iPhone 8 to an 11 Pro and I love this phone. I always thought it was too big, loving the size/form factor of the 5S. But it seems perfect. I use a case for it though but sometimes I take it off and marvel at its beauty. When the 12 came out, I just wasn't that excited about it. My mom got one (or a 13, can't remember) and it just doesn't feel as premium. Maybe I'm wrong, I've just played around with it for a little bit. But, through these last few years, I have not had any desire to upgrade my iPhone other than when I'm out of storage.

I tried looking on Google and I can't find anything about Ive's influence on the design of recent iPhones. The last presentation I could find was for the iPhone X.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
He left June 2019, so the last iPhone in that time would have been the XR / XS, which is pretty much iterative of the X. But he seems to still get work since he helped work on the M1 Mac, so if potential contract work counts, maybe he's helped design new iPhones as well

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
He left June 2019, so the last iPhone in that time would have been the XR / XS, which is pretty much iterative of the X. But he seems to still get work since he helped work on the M1 Mac, so if potential contract work counts, maybe he's helped design new iPhones as well
So I guess he still had his hand in iPhone 11. Or if anything, it’s like an SS version of the X right? I wasn’t paying much attention to iPhones back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.