Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
XS. It was as fast as I could navigate apps. Barely delay. 3GS was fun - video recording and copy paste.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 13.1 (just before the update that caused the RAM management issue) was the best combination. I think Apple outdo themselves and they might never reach that standard in terms of hardware/software experience ever.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm fickle - I love the one I'm with. I've had 4, 6, and X. The 4 had the most solid feel thanks to all that stainless steel, but i was happy to leave the small display and 30-pin connector behind. The 6 was a great leap forward in many regards - Touch ID, better cameras, bigger display. The X was a nice jump up from the 6 - Face ID, better cameras, more display area, water resistance... And I'm really looking forward to 13 Pro.

The same is true for my first Mac (Quadra 950), my first-gen iPad, and first-gen Watch... they all introduced me to the joys of those platforms and I hold no small affection for them, but they've been succeeded by newer, improved models. I can't recall ever wishing I could go back.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
iPhone 5. Seemed such a big deal to have the latest one back then, and looked a good deal different too. It was always fun saying that you could only use the “new” charging cable and laughing at people for only having the 30 pin at their house

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I’ve had the 4,5,6 and now current 7. If I had to pick for longevity i gottta go with my 7! It still runs just as fast maybe fast on iOS 14.8 as it did on iOS 10 when I got it! I use it with the smart battery case and it just feels right.

But overall for looks and feeling I gotta go with the 5. It was just perfect. But it did start to slow down with later updates.

My next phone will be the 13 mini maybe this year or I might wait till next year when they drop the price and if they don’t make a new one. Looking forward to it!

Kone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
The first gen SE (that I still have!). The 4S is a close 2nd b/c it was my first iPhone. The 13 Mini is a very close 3rd.

JohnnyChuttz

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
I’ve owned 4-5-6-6s-7-X-Xs-11pro-12pro-13Pro

My wife and I were up for upgrades when the 3GS was released. My wife went for the 3GS while I just thought I needed the bigger screen of a 4.7 HTC Android. After a while I became silently envious of her 3GS. She ran it naked and it took a beating. I sat on my phone and shattered the glass. But it was just in time for the iPhone 4 release.

I loved the 4. The size, shape, and the beautiful Retina Display were perfect. The 5 after that was amazing as well for the time.
I love that the 12 and 13 throwback to the square form of the 4/5.

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
I think the iPhone 5 was the most exciting for me upon its release. It was so light, and looked so good with those chamfered edges. I’m very nostalgic about the 4 and 5.

The best overall phone, that seems to still be relevant as far as speed and features, is the XS. It seems to have stood the test of time better than any other iPhone.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
I’ve had almost every iPhone since the 4. I got most excited for 5s, 6 and then the X. The X might stand out the most to me though. My favorite I would have to say is probably my iPhone 13 pro max. I’m a sucker for 120hz. Before this phone I would find myself jumping to an android that had 120hz but I would be unhappy and go back to iPhone. Now that I have an iPhone with amazing battery life and 120hz. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been with a smartphone.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
I had 3G, 4S, 6, 7, and 13 pro. I’d rank them 4s, 3G, 7, 13 pro, and then 6 as a distant last, that phone was absolute garbage.

3G, 7 and 13 pro are more of a toss up. 3G was introduction to smart phone technology, so it holds a special spot. 7 was a solid refinement of the dumpster fire that was the 6. Maybe 13 will grow on me more. It’s fine. Objectively it has more features and performs well, but it feels like I’m carrying around a crt monitor from the 90s. And the screen is so dull and sickly greenish yellow it’s hard to argue the benefits of a “big beautiful display”. But in fairness the 4s also had a terribly calibrated screen and I got past it for all its other merits.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Probably the iPhone 8 Plus. That thing never stuttered or let me down in all the time I had it. Still a powerful phone now 4 years on. Don’t miss how big it was though and glad the iPhone 12 is smaller.

Reactions: brgjoe

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I loved my Product Red 8 Plus. The thing was a powerhouse. Still works fine now. And battery life is still good on it as well.

And I believe the only screen wider than the 8+ still are the Pro Max phones. So all in all, probably the 8+ is my favorite all around iPhone that I've owned.

pjv1990

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
For me it’s my black 4s. It was my first iPhone so I have a deep nostalgic connection to that particular model. I was actually shaking unboxing it, that’s how excited I was that I actually owned an iPhone. It felt like going from an abacus to a computer, such was the leap from the disgusting mess other manufacturers sold back then. That was the phone I had throughout university which were the best years of my life. For me the 4 & 4s is still the best looking iPhone. There is something about that design that is aesthetically perfect. Even now when I take that phone out of the box I still find the 4s’s industrial design to be utterly sublime. Steve Jobs and Jony Ive really knocked it out of the park with the design of the 4 & 4s.

It speaks volumes that Apple have returned to that design language for the 12 & 13.

Reactions: stevemiller

Quarric

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I’d have said the 5s or SE1 for the design and pocketable size, I liked the 8 and the SE2 well enough, but didn’t like the slipperyness of them out of a case.
But now I’ve got the 13mini and whilst it isn’t quite as compact as my pre 8 phones, it reminds me of them, upgraded and with better battery life, it’s a great little ish phone, that I like more than I even thought I would so far.

Radeon962

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2020
Love my 12 PM but the X was my favorite. Size, design change, feel in the hand were all nearly perfect.

12 PM does everything well and so well that I am skipping the 13 series as I have spent a lot of time using it in store and friends who have upgraded from older devices that I just don’t see a tangible difference in the two for what I use my phone for.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
For me it's the iPhone X. It really felt like a brand new experience, and brought back those same feelings I had when getting my first iPhone (the 3GS).

Second would probably be the 5S. Against popular opinion, I never enjoyed the 4/4S. The 5S however, immediately made the 4S feel like a heavy brick with a small display. I enjoyed the 5Ss great chassis, the chamfered edges and light weight. Camera was also really good at the time.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
For me it’s my 13 Pro Max but before this phone was definitely the Matte black 7 Plus. I loved that phone so much.

Poppleropples

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
My old XR, that thing just ran like a champ and battery life stayed decent over its life. Although I’m now loving the smaller form of the 13 Mini but too early to take the crown! My worst phone though was the 7, I never really got on with it, the battery life degraded really quickly and I had a bunch of trouble with the screen.

i-Liam

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
iPhone 4 and iPhone X both had a wow factor about them at the times they came out.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
My first iPhone was the 4. I would say that one. Design was great and I couldn’t believe everything it could do. That was also the height of mobile gaming before in app purchases ruined it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.