Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I have an old iMac (2006) and I'm trying to keep it going. I have other much newer macs that run the current software but I am getting all these warnings that say that Safari, Chrome, Firefox all are not being updated and then I am also having problems opening up web pages because the browsers are too old.

My question is, what can I use for a web browser on an older iMac? I can only get to MacOS 10.7.5

Ruonis

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
Hi, Mikebike125

I have 3 macs. Mac mini with Lion 10.7.5 is newest. My family works with it everyday.
You can try Google chrome 49 (not supported but run well)
Firefox 48
Opera (last version for Lion). Safari will have problem with tls, you can't open sites like Wikipedia (I'll try resolve this problem on Snow Leopard)
More rare browsers: Vivaldi, Roccat, Sleipnir, SeaMonkey, Avira Scout...Some chromium forks (Citrio, Epic)

And special: Arcticfox, Newmoon, Basilisk, Firefox Legacy (for Lion). There are work and updated regularly

Last edited:

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Your August 2020 best bets for new and secure web browsers and add-ons to use in Lion 10.7.5

Waterfox Classic 2020.07.1 - https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/hrozqo

Speaking of Waterfox its builds are either heavily crashing or crash Lion and Mountain Lion, and the issue has been recurring for the last year or so. I think the whole project for WF Classic w/ Lion&Mountain Lion is damaged beyond repair. With FF officially putting Mavericks-ElCap on ESR WF Classic can soon become the life buoy for 10.9 - 10.11 (I'm still shocked they dropped El Capitan since many other software devs still support 10.10).

UPDATE. Unless I missed smth.

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
These custom / tweaked Waterfox Classic builds by slapyourhoe are working quite well on Lion and Mavericks.

I tried to stomach using a new Windows 10 system and after 30 minutes, I just can't do it because of its intrusiveness. It's either Mavericks or Windows 7, so praying browsers keep getting updated.

Reactions: macinfo

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Firefox Legacy 67 for browsing.

Safari with Silverlight for Netflix.

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Any way to make safari work in 10.7.5 with these sites that can't establish a secure connection?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Last edited:

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Thx! Will try it now. This machine is just for fun, so no problem with security)

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Looks like I've missed smth. Where do i need to copy things?

Library/LaunchAgents
Library/Squid

Goes to Macintosh HD root, right?

And what about usr? I don't have usr in root of Macintosh HD, only Users.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Looks like I've missed smth. Where do i need to copy things?

Library/LaunchAgents
Library/Squid

Goes to Macintosh HD root, right?

And what about usr? I don't have usr in root of Macintosh HD, only Users.

Correct. Usr should be on Macintosh HD as well (it is indeed called “usr”), but it’s probably hidden.

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Nope... It's not working. But I copied usr in last step. Need to re-add certificate?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Using Mac Ports for Lion, you can get the latest (July 2020) build of WebKit2 targeting GTK, and through that a couple of GTK-based browsers are available, including GNOME Web (aka Epiphany) and Midori.

I am still in the process of resurrecting Lion on an old iMac to test them out (its default operating system is currently Linux where all the current major players are fully supported), so I cannot (yet) personally speak to their usability.

Depending on your local system's configuration, and the availability of prebuilt packages, these options might take quite some time to compile on your local machine. And they will tend to have the look and feel of a GTK application rather than going out of their way to feel like a typical Aqua application.

Reactions: macinfo

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I am still in the process of resurrecting Lion on an old iMac to test them out (its default operating system is currently Linux where all the current major players are fully supported), so I cannot (yet) personally speak to their usability.

I, uh, can. Midori at least is barely usable. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: goosnarrggh

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Well, I'm playing with this machine just for fun, and I want to have native experience. Installing third-party browser is a solution of course, but its no go for me :)
[automerge]1598214758[/automerge]
Well, I'm playing with this machine just for fun, and I want to have native experience. Installing third-party browser is a solution of course, but its no go for me :)

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019

I like Safari too, but there's just not much you'll be able to see anymore. Even without https issues, websites simply don't work, except for that rare site which hasn't been updated in the past decade. The "native experience" people had when Lion was new is not most websites being broken...

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I, uh, can. Midori at least is barely usable. :(
Confirmed - Midori for me has internal failures as it tries to load just about any web page.

Epiphany appears to load most web pages, with sporadic internal failures which can be cleared up by refreshing the page. Don't even think about using it for YouTube though.

This, on the same hardware that can still offer a smooth-as-silk browsing experience using any of the major browsers in Linux. Oh well.

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
By the way, what's the best way to watch youtube on such machine? Using browser is no go here, lags like hell, but if i download video it plays fluently. Maybe there is more automatic way to do so?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
For browsing on Lion 10.7.5, just install Firefox Legacy 67 already.

By the way, what's the best way to watch youtube on such machine? Using browser is no go here, lags like hell, but if i download video it plays fluently. Maybe there is more automatic way to do so?
Which machine exactly? What resolution for YouTube? What browser did you try?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
By the way, what's the best way to watch youtube on such machine? Using browser is no go here, lags like hell, but if i download video it plays fluently.

Heh, I'm on Mavericks and have access to official Firefox ESR, and this is how I watch all Youtube videos anyway. I have an Applescript that can download videos really easily, so when I find something I want to watch I just hit a button and wait a few minutes until I get a notification that it's ready.

It's just so much nicer to watch things in QuickTime. There's never any bufferring or sudden video quality changes, and you can seek to any part of the video instantly.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
For browsing on Lion 10.7.5, just install Firefox Legacy 67 already.
Firefox Legacy 67 for Lion was last built in June 2019 - that's over a year during which security vulnerabilities would have been discovered and left uncorrected in such an old build of Firefox

The only way I'd be confident to access the web safely on an outdated OS like Lion, would be if I was confident that the browser I was using had at least received some degree of maintenance reasonably recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.