Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Well, it's been nearly a year since Apple released Safari. I wonder what will be instore for the browser in 2.0 and when we might see a major update to it. Any ideas?

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Surely they must release it at MWSF.

I want:

- Download manager improved eg easier to redirect downloads; more info in download list
- https sites to work behind a firewall. This is a must.
- All bookmarks displayable from bookmarks menu

and more that i can't think of now.

:)

edit:
- Resumable downloads with warning when repeating downloads

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
One thing I think they should fix is when a picture loads on a site and I choose to save it, the picture downloads again, rather than getting it from memory.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
I agree about being able to save it from memory.

Also, being able to control-click a picture, and get its 'properties' (dimensions, exact url..ect.) I post pics in forums all the time and it sucks having to 'open pic in new window' then copy the url from the address bar.

And the download window should show how fast its downloading - being a 56k user, I'd keep a watchful eye on that.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by joshuwa72

And the download window should show how fast its downloading - being a 56k user, I'd keep a watchful eye on that.

It doesn't already?

Attachments

• safari dl.jpg
    safari dl.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 787

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
- https sites to work behind a firewall. This is a must.
I'm behind a firewall and https works for me! I always hear about https problems in Safari but I experience none. What am I missing?
As for features:
Improvements to SnapBack. It hardly ever works properly.
Even more speed.
Built in plug-ins for everything (PDF, WMP, Real, etc.) I know you can put these things in manually but I think they will become built in along with some others.
And plus I have one that I am almost positive that they will add that is extremely specific:
If I have a bookmark that I named "MacRumors", and if I type "MacRumors" into the address bar, it will load MacRumors. Obviously here it is not very useful because I would just have to add .com, but what if you have published a calendar of Macworld on .Mac? Type in iCal-Macworld (or whatever you named it) and it will load the corresponding url. It is so Apple-like in terms of convenience.
Also I predict it is announced January 1st (remember iCal/iSync?).

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Originally posted by zellin
I'm behind a firewall and https works for me! I always hear about https problems in Safari but I experience none.

Hey Zellin, can you do a port scan of your firewall and let us all know what ports are open. (there's port scanning in the Network Utility). (don't tell us the ip though or we'll hack ya!! hahahaha! :D just kiddin! :D )

or maybe it's how our proxies work... hmmm

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I have to agree as well - I am behind a firewall/router and have no problems at all accessing https sites or anything along those lines. <shrug>

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by zellin
Built in plug-ins for everything (PDF, WMP, Real, etc.) I know you can put these things in manually but I think they will become built in along with some others.
Apple already includes a plug-in for PDF. It is called the QuickTime Plug-In. As for WMP and Real, those are the intellectual property of Micro$oft and Real Networks, respectively. QuickTime is an open system. M$ and Real are free to write codecs for QuickTime. However, Apple cannot do that without permission.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I meant how long the download has left until it finished.

you don't really need the computer to tell you that...

(File size) / (download speed) = (time left)

:D

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
speaking of Safari, I am running 10.3.2 and I deleted safari because it was acting strange. Now, my combo drive is not working, and I need to finsih Finals before I can turn computer in for repair.

I tried to download a new copy of Safari from apple.com, and versiontracker, but they are saying I can only get Safari off the 10.3 cd.

If anyone is willing to send my Safari.app I would really appreciate it.

Add it to my public .mac jamesk777
or email jamesk7777@mac.com

Thanks macrumors community.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I meant how long the download has left until it finished.

Sorry, I wasnt thinking when I posted that lol.

I would agree then. Sometimes I am so implusive that I calculate out long it will take by subtracting what has already been downloaded from the total size and dividing it by the download speed to see how much time is left.

It would be nice if Safari did it for me. :)

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
I would like to see better Java applet support, content filtering to prevent the display of banner ads/ or flash animations, a completely new favorites panel that displays large icons with captions underneath to make finding a site faster.
Another possible feature that I would like is an IRC client for iChat that could be activated through a link in Safari. Maybe a new version will be released at Macworld SF.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
  • sorting out the crap autocomplete
  • plugin support
  • skins/themes (aqua/metal) - i know you can install those APE things but they're pretty shoddy IMHO
  • option to restore the last set of tabs on load
  • reworked JS engine

...that'd be a great start

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
In the good old days, you'd click and hold on a link (or the page itself) and an options menu would pop-up. Only Mozilla and Mozilla FireBird do that now.

I find it incredibly annoying that Safari doesn't do that. I'd image it would be a simple option to include, wouldn't it?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by 5300cs
In the good old days, you'd click and hold on a link (or the page itself) and an options menu would pop-up. Only Mozilla and Mozilla FireBird do that now.

I find it incredibly annoying that Safari doesn't do that. I'd image it would be a simple option to include, wouldn't it?

Yah you're right, this is a nice feature - that would be a great one to see in Safari 2.0.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
Hey Zellin, can you do a port scan of your firewall and let us all know what ports are open. (there's port scanning in the Network Utility). (don't tell us the ip though or we'll hack ya!! hahahaha! :D just kiddin! :D )

or maybe it's how our proxies work... hmmm

https uses port 443 so if its not open then https will not work.

A proxy can prohibit certain traffic.

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Originally posted by revenuee
you don't really need the computer to tell you that...

(File size) / (download speed) = (time left)

Oh, come now. The reason we have computers at all is to take care of that kind of stuff for us :)

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Downloads

It sounds like people want an improved download manager. I would like to see something similiar to Yazsoft's Speed Download 2.1. Speed Download shows the remaining time and lets you assign bandwitdh percentage to individual downoads. It would be cool if Safari would let you que your downloads in a list, or schedule a large download to run at night.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by merges
Oh, come now. The reason we have computers at all is to take care of that kind of stuff for us :)

Yah, but I don't like my computer doing TOO much thinking for me - don't want my mind to turn into goo. :cool:

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by merges

if you round, you can do that math in 2 or 3 seconds in your head and get an estimate of the time, the computer estimates as well since download speeds fluctuate ...

and i think thats a terrible way of looking at it, your computer should make complicated tasks simpler, don't rely on your computer for everything

heck, in first year calculus your not permitted to use a calculator, on test and exams, it keeps you thinking and your brain working.

I shutter to think of a generation that can't devide 5000 kb / 5kb/s

:D

EDIT : sorry Shard, i started writing my response before your post, and then forgot to hit "Submit" - didn't mean to step on your toes by reposting exactly what you said

bburchill

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
I'd like to see Apple come out with a very cool, rich with customizable content, Web Portal to go along with Safari 2.0.

With the "elegant" look (IMO) of OSX and Safari, all the standard Web Portals like Yahoo, MSN, AOL and Netscape, look ugly and way frumpy!

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
I'll second the call for a good download manager. I'm on a dialup(rather slow one too) and I would like the ability to resume a download so I could download piecemeal(instead of 3-6 Hours). I do not want to have to use a third party utility(especially since I remember IE having this feature).

Other than that, speed and reliability. I do not need a web browser to chat or check email. Just the web please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.