Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THpubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Hi, I'm a software developer who does both web and mobile applications. Occasionally I do some video editing with Premier. I'm trying to get into iOS development so want to buy a Mac. I'm currently using a desktop PC with the following specs: Core i5 (Quoad Core), A normal SSD, 16Gigs of Ram and a GTX 750 Graphics card. I want a Mac to match the performance of this machine. I just went to some local stores and the model that took my attention is MJLQ2LLA. 2015 MacBook PRO with an i7 CPU 2.2GHz, 16 gigs of ram and 256 GB SSD (No dedicated graphics card). My question is, will this be enough for my requirement? Might I have to go for a different version? I'm focusing on more RAM, is it a good thing?

I also found another one 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory, 512GB SSD storage1, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650. This one more expensive and is a 2017 model which means, I have to spend more for dongles. I'm new to Macs. So please help.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
For video editing I would likely look at a system with a discrete graphics card. Otherwise a larger hard drive would be in order. Smallest drive size I would look at is 512GB.

Are you going to be running MAMP for the web development? It makes managing of the various pieces easier and is, for me, a good value.

Regarding dongles, get one dongle and/or a dock/hub that provides the legacy device support. There are several hubs from my prior research that plug into TB3 port(s) and provide USB-3 and other support quickly and do not look too big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.