Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
More and more app updates are requiring iOS 7. My iPad 3 is jailbroken and on iOS 6.x. It works well except for Safari's poor performance and frequent timeouts.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to iOS 7 and jailbreaking it, but I'm concerned about what I'll lose if I upgrade? Judging by the many complaints, iOS 7 is slower and stutters a lot on the iPad 3.

The other thing I'm worried about is AirPlay reliability. AirPlay performance has been amazing on iOS 6; I almost never have problems with it. In contrast, AirPlay reliability on iOS 7 (on an iPhone 4 and 4S) has been abysmal. Trying to AirPlay to my Apple TV or XBMC or Plex rarely works, with less than 50% of AirPlay attempts succeeding.

So, is it worth upgrading my iPad 3 to iOS 7?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
On the iPad3 before recommending you upgrade I'd first attempt to fix your issues.
Possibly a 'semi-restore' or iLEX RAT fix and limit your tweaks installed, coupled with the beta9 version of iCleaner (exile90software.com/cydia/beta) for cleaning up your iOS6 a bit.

If you still have issues after that then sure, an upgrade to 7.1.2 would be appropriate.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
Just test it for yourself. Find out if you like iOS 7 on your own. Form your own opinions

johnNYChingaz

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
NY
you will feel a bit annoyed by the new update, but overall you will like it, my 2 ipad3 are up and running and jailbroken, just go ahead before you cant jailbreak for who knows how long

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
you will feel a bit annoyed by the new update, but overall you will like it, my 2 ipad3 are up and running and jailbroken, just go ahead before you cant jailbreak for who knows how long

Thanks. I was mostly concerned about any deal breakers. The thing that concerns me the most is Airplay reliability. I think I might just go for it.

----------

On the iPad3 before recommending you upgrade I'd first attempt to fix your issues.
Possibly a 'semi-restore' or iLEX RAT fix and limit your tweaks installed, coupled with the beta9 version of iCleaner (exile90software.com/cydia/beta) for cleaning up your iOS6 a bit.

If you still have issues after that then sure, an upgrade to 7.1.2 would be appropriate.

Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't heard of either of them, but they look very useful.

I'll make a note of my tweaks--I don't have that many--before I decide to do a full backup and restore with the update.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
im on ios7 on my ipad 3. Much improved battery life, i got used to the new bright colors and stuff. Ah i couldnt live with the dock being such a big bar, i got dockshift to make it transparent.

everything works so far so good.
:D

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I'm running my iPad 3 on iOS7 and no real issues at all. In terms of battery i travelled 300+ miles yesterday and for 3 hours we were streaming the Grand Prix and the Tour de France on it connected to the hotspot on my iPhone. Was around 54% when we started, 11% still remaining when i got home.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Since you are already using a jailbroken device, go ahead and try it yourself. In my experience, you won't get worse battery life but the performance of the OS will be worse overall. But unless you're planning to buy a new device in the near future, you're gonna have to upgrade eventually. Make sure you do that before iOS 8 gets released otherwise you'll end up with one hell of slow device.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
iOS 7 is a huge pile of crap!

I just updated my iPhone 5 from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 and iOS 7 is super glitchy. I am looking for another phone with 6.1.2 on it or I'll go back to Android.

iOS 6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> iOS 7

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 7 is a huge pile of crap!

I just updated my iPhone 5 from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 and iOS 7 is super glitchy. I am looking for another phone with 6.1.2 on it or I'll go back to Android.

iOS 6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> iOS 7
What actual glitches are you experiencing?

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
What actual glitches are you experiencing?
*Phone call buttons do not appear sometimes
*I cannot pan around a web page in a circle, it snaps to horizontal/vertical scrolling sometimes.
*Text messages from the same contact are not always staying in the same thread
*Rotation is not smooth
*Animation stutter

I'm sure there is plenty more I can't think of right now. I hate it so much.

Then there are design issues, like the text in the notification center is huge and Apples choice of 'negative space' means a poor use of screen space. Their over-use of white makes navigating difficult. I was able to fit far more information on the screen in iOS 6.

iOS 7 was designed without function in mind.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
So, is it worth upgrading my iPad 3 to iOS 7?

Off topic but trying to be helpful: I'd put out a feeler to see what a JB iOS 6 iPad 3 is selling for before upgrading.

With that said, I haven't updated the kid's iPod or iPad beyond iOS 6 but their usage is probably much different than yours. You just need to weigh the features you want with iOS 7 vs. your iOS 6 JB. Also, the new JB for 7.1.x is a game-changer.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
For better or worse, I went ahead and upgraded. Going to jailbreak next because iOS 7 is too bright and white; I need to install f.lux.

So far, iOS 7 is a bit slower, including Safari, but at least it loads webpages now. And as I feared, Airplay reliability has plummeted.

But I can live with it since I'll upgrade to a new iPad (hopefully with iOS 8) when they're released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.