Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Will OS X 10.12 Be Called?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justinthesommer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
United States
WWDC 2016 is coming up fast and that means the latest Mac operating system will be release. What do you think OS X 10.12 will be called?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I would have no idea what the new name would be but voted anyhow. Big Sur sounds good to me.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It will be called, 'Mac OSX-let's-release-another-and-shorten-the-list-of-Macs-that-can-run-it.'

I seriously hope the 2007 iMacs and such can run it. They better improve the efficiency even more; we need smoother, more efficient graphics. Safari is also a mess.

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
There will never be an OS called OS X 10.12. Apple will morph the naming scheme to macOS… And why not? There's iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. macOS is the next logical step. The added benefit is that it removes numbering, which will get more confusing than it already is when iOS 10.0 is released.

My money is on "macOS Chavez Ravine." :rolleyes:

Reactions: boston04and07

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
There will never be an OS called OS X 10.12. Apple will morph the naming scheme to macOS… And why not? There's iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. macOS is the next logical step. The added benefit is that it removes numbering, which will get more confusing than it already is when iOS 10.0 is released.

My money is on "macOS Chavez Ravine." :rolleyes:
Highly unlikely, as OS X has always been used to differentiate between Mac OS (Which already exist) and Mac OS X (Now branded OS X).

It will be called, 'Mac OSX-let's-release-another-and-shorten-the-list-of-Macs-that-can-run-it.'

While I do think they'll remove some machines this year, I don't see why you are so negative about it. Apple hasn't shortened the list since Mavericks.

Reactions: movie-mac

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Napa Valley.
It's well known, and it's head to head with some mobile OS that will also be named with something that starts with N.

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
Redwood is a type of tree, not a destination, unless you're going to Redwood City, which triggers visions of… well not much of anything, unless it's home.

If Apple sticks with California place names it needs to go big, as in Big Sur or Lake Tahoe. Those responsible for naming the next OS might find Eureka a good fit if they're interested in a small town on the North Coast. I still think the next name will reflect Southern California, Malibu (overused?) or Palm Springs are suitable. San Francisco is a font; so Los Angeles could be the next.

In any case, I'm anxious to drop the "Oh-Ess Ten, Ten Point ??" moniker. It's unwieldy and lacks pizzazz. MacOS (place name) sounds just right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.