Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I was wondering what sort of wireless performance I should be getting from my Time Capsule?

When it is sitting next to my iMac the rate reported by the Airprt utility is 172. And the network works very fast.

But the rate drops down to 52-70 when I shifted the TC just two rooms ways (20m away, through 2 walls, (plaster board).

This is matched with very poor performance of devices attacked to the TC's USB (slooooow opening files on an attached HDD and slooow printing to an attached printer) as well as noticable fall in internet speed.

The iMac will also not connect to time capsule when in the other room if the network (time-capsule) is set to 802.11n only.

I've tried changing channel;s etc with not effect.

(By they way the TC is in bridge mode and is connected by a 10 metre cat 6 cable to a ADSL modem/router provided by the ISP).

Am I doing something wrong? Is this standard?

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Are you sure its 20m away? That's like 60 feet and I believe 'g' and/or 'n' drops severely after 50 feet. So, yeah, it will suck that far away.

If there is that much space between devices get one of those little AirPort Express devices and plug it in half-way between the Timecapsule and the iMac.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I have a Time Capsule in the middle bedroom of my house. Two rooms away is the kitchen, all bars. But get THIS: Through the bedroom, then the living room, then the two car garage, THEN 100 ft. down the driveway I get 2 bars and can surf quite nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.