Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Basically I want something less than 100 dollars (my iphone 6 just completely died). It would be a temp phone while I wait for the new iphones to come out (I'm thinking I can get an android cheaper than I can get an iphone. Even used 6's of hte same size as mine seem to be more than 150 dollars). All I really need it for is a phone, web browser, and pokemon go (if I don't need pokemon go I have access to a free iphone 4 so you can't beat free ;) ).

I can get an iphone SE for 88 bux but is there a better android I could get for the same price or equivelnt for less (since this is just a temp phone the cheaper the better)? I'm fine with buying used off ebay. In some ways it would be interesting for me cause I've never used an Android.

I'm just looking at my options for now.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Basically I want something less than 100 dollars (my iphone 6 just completely died). It would be a temp phone while I wait for the new iphones to come out (I'm thinking I can get an android cheaper than I can get an iphone. Even used 6's of hte same size as mine seem to be more than 150 dollars). All I really need it for is a phone, web browser, and pokemon go (if I don't need pokemon go I have access to a free iphone 4 so you can't beat free ;) ).

I can get an iphone SE for 88 bux but is there a better android I could get for the same price or equivelnt for less (since this is just a temp phone the cheaper the better)? I'm fine with buying used off ebay. In some ways it would be interesting for me cause I've never used an Android.

I'm just looking at my options for now.
Although I switched from an iPhone SE to an Android (and loving it) when I needed to replace the SE, I wouldn't recommend switching to android for a temporary 3 month window. Especially if you've never used Android. There is a bit of a hassle with SMS messaging switching from iOS to Android (not really a problem going the other way) and not worth it for such a short time. It eventually works out, but it takes time.

If you are already determined that iOS is your preferred smartphone ecosystem, then just go with the SE for the 3 months.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Get a used Google Pixel (1). It'll be quick and has a great screen and camera. Plus you can try out a vanilla Android OS with regular updates. Careful, if you get one you may forswear iPhones and iOS.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Have you had your phone evaluated by Apple to see what's wrong with it and what it would cost to fix?

You may just need a new battery which would be less than $100. Why not start there?

Reactions: AustinIllini

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Have you had your phone evaluated by Apple to see what's wrong with it and what it would cost to fix?

You may just need a new battery which would be less than $100. Why not start there?

I doubt it's the battery. The charging port died 2 weeks ago (like suddnely, one day it worked, one day it didn't... you had to press the lightning cable to get it to charge) and we replaced it with an aftermarket part (cause we were leaving for vacation and ifixit couldn't get me the part before I left). It worked fine for a few days and then it would do things like stay at 100% for a long time then slowly go down like normal but then would die randomly at random percentages (and would charge really quick to 100 when you put it on the charger). It fixed itself for a day ro two and then got worse (was just staying at 100% and one time died right after I took it after the charger). I figured worse came to worse I could just have a phone that needed to always be attached to a charger of some sort. Wake up today and it was connected to the charger and claiming it had no battery. It knew the charger was attached cause if you removed the charger it would ask for a charger. And the battery was actually in really good shape before all this started (like I've never noticed it being weaker than usual and it claims it's at 98%, I think even before we opened it up). It really does act like it can't tell how much power the battery has (in fact it complained when it started acting weird that the battery wasn't giving peak power or something and it was going into some mode). I suspect something is wrong with the part we replaced or we did something when we replaced it.

Anyways... apple will charge me a ****ton to fix it (way more than I'm willing to pay for a few more months and at this point I don't trust this phone and it won't be supported for the next iOS anyways so i'd rather get a different phone). And my husband is pretty handy and has fixed plenty of iphones (he's rough on his phones).

But for now my hubby's brother has an old galaxy five he's just going to let me use. If I find it's too annoying (it works apparently and has a crack but it will be my frist time using android) I can buy an SE for 88 bux off ebay (which is faster than my phone and will have less storage than I need but for a temp phone I can just use it barebones). But the galaxy if nothign else will give me a phone while I'm on vacation.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The S5 is a bit old now so I don't think it would give you a good impression of android. I remember when my iPhone 4 was stolen. I had a 3 months left before I could upgrade. I decided to get a cheap android phone (Samsung Galaxy Y) to use until I could upgrade to the 4S. I used the Galaxy Y for a month and then decided to pay off my contract so I could upgrade to the original galaxy note. I used android and liked it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
IMO, Blu phones are the best ultra budget Android phones. Look in Amazon. Just go for one 2gb ram or higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.