Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
At this point, what would be the disadvantage of dumping my 2017 macbook pro and running MacOS in a VM on a nice Windows 10 machine? Other than losing an always on sentient Hazel, Alfred, and Keyboard Maestro, I cannot think of any drawbacks though I admit those 3 are HUGE. Can someone change my mind?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
At this point, what would be the disadvantage of dumping my 2017 macbook pro and running MacOS in a VM on a nice Windows 10 machine? Other than losing an always on sentient Hazel, Alfred, and Keyboard Maestro, I cannot think of any drawbacks though I admit those 3 are HUGE. Can someone change my mind?
Aside from the fact that it violates the license for macOS to use it on a non-Apple computer, macOS really suffers when used in virtualization because it has no graphics acceleration. If you do anything that requires that, or requires maximum speed, it's not going to be suitable.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Aside from the fact that it violates the license for macOS to use it on a non-Apple computer, macOS really suffers when used in virtualization because it has no graphics acceleration. If you do anything that requires that, or requires maximum speed, it's not going to be suitable.

Couldn't care less about "licensing" but I don't really think lack of graphics acceleration would affect me. Adobe stuff would be fine under Windows and I don't play games..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but I don't really think lack of graphics acceleration would affect me
You wouldn't think but macOS in a VM is really slow because of the lack of acceleration. There's a lot of hoops to jump through to try to get iMessage to work as well. Getting a VM up and running with macOS isn't all that difficult, but getting everything work can be a pain.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.