Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Just wondering,
I thought of erasing everything from ftp then hard reset -> restore

does it make any difference?

tm1000

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
considering its an operating system I don't think you could delete everything because some applications are in a runnning state. However it would completely fudge it up.

I wonder if a restore would work in this deleted state?

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
considering its an operating system I don't think you could delete everything because some applications are in a runnning state. However it would completely fudge it up.

I wonder if a restore would work in this deleted state?

I don't even think it would be able to sync it you tried deleting everything. Meaning that you would be really really screwed LOL.

I do hope the OP didn't decide to just give it a go...:eek:

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
Surely the recovery mode is part of the firmware not the operating system? So in theory you should still be able to put it into recovery mode.

I don't believe the jailbreak gives you access to the firmware files, just the OS files.

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
Surely the recovery mode is part of the firmware not the operating system? So in theory you should still be able to put it into recovery mode.

I don't believe the jailbreak gives you access to the firmware files, just the OS files.

You sound correct to me.

Still, what is the difference between firmware and operating system? Like they call it "firmware 1.1.1" for the iPod but isn't it "operating system 1.1.1"? And in what language would the firmware be written? Like, is it completely different to the operating system?

:apple:Matt

tm1000

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
You sound correct to me.

Still, what is the difference between firmware and operating system? Like they call it "firmware 1.1.1" for the iPod but isn't it "operating system 1.1.1"? And in what language would the firmware be written? Like, is it completely different to the operating system?

:apple:Matt

It depends on the system. My MacBook Pro has Firmware AND OSX. If I deleted the WHOLE hard drive the firmware is still there to get me up to boot (but not into the removed OS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.