Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Our family lives in a rural, mountainous area where cellular reception is spotty at best. It's one of those places where there may be a tower nearby, but the tower is held by a carrier that doesn't use your cellular circuitry so therefore the tower doesn't necessarily help your cell's reception. This situation has improved significantly since the 1990s, but it's one tower installation at a time, and the major carriers are AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Both same to be taking their time.

Back in the '90's, we used to carry an old bag-phone (Verizon Wireless) around in our truck for business purposes. It was only $23/month, and only voice-telephony. No smartphones back then. We eventually shut it down because we weren't getting enough use out of it and towers were much farther apart back then. Since that time, we started using cheap cells on Tracfone (pay as you go for minutes, no monthly fees), first as flip-phones and much later as smartphones. I'm currently using a Lenovo-Motorola Moto G6 Play. It's a nice unit, (and relatively cheap for what you get) but it doesn't give me access to Apple's iPhone perks and I am aware of how Google tracks your every move through Android phones.

We also have an iPad and Macs, so we are aware of the power of iOS and the iOS ecosystem in addition to MacOS.

I am guessing that the G6 is the same screen/overall body size as an iPhone 11, only thicker, with a 3.1-amp/hr battery.

If I were to migrate from Motorola to Apple in the future, (probably a year or more down the road) I'm wondering how I can do this without paying top-dollar. I'm also wondering if I can avoid some of the pitfalls of a modern iPhone.

1: I bought my Moto G6 Play for about $110 on Overstock a few months ago. I realize I cannot possibly get a decently modern iPhone in good shape for even twice that price. But what is available on the market (new, used or factory-refurbished) in the $200 to $300 range? Is there anything that still runs the current iOS?

2: About Qi wireless charging: I have one of those rubber protector-cases on my G6 Play to keep it from getting damaged if it falls or is dropped. If I bought one of those cases/boots for an iPhone, would that ruin the Qi connection? Is there some kind of specification to look for?

3: Is it possible to create a Keynote presentation on my iMac and then send it to an iPhone via AirDrop, and use the iPhone to make the presentation wirelessly using a WiFi connection to a digital projector that has HDMI, VGA and USB ports? If so, what missing pieces are necessary to get the slideshow "on the screen"? (I have an AppleTV, pre-Siri generation, but it seems very finicky to make presentations with.)

4: Can Keynote (for MacOS and/or iPad) be used to create slides that can be presented on Instagram via Feed or Stories?

5: Stupid question, but relevant to me: do iPhone users use a stylus with their phones? I find it indispensable with my G6 Play, form typing text to navigating. Is there a go-to brand for a stylus that combines the rubber tip with a ball-point pen on the other end?

6: What about glass screen protectors? I have a cheap one on my G6 Play. What kits are popular with modern iPhone users?

7: If I wanted to migrate from Tracfone to a pay-by-the-month carrier, my apparent choices are AT&T and Verizon Wireless. (The towers around here are apparently either CDMA or GSM) If I migrated to either of these carriers, and made an iPhone as my primary phone, what options are available for cord-cutting (using the cellular signal as my sole connection for voice, internet/data and FAX) to get rid of the landline, DSL and find a way to incorporate TV service? I've heard about throttling data rates and I wondered. Also, assuming I migrated: would it be a good idea to buy one of those MiFi devices to provide WiFi service without needing the phone all the time?

8: Tracfone does not support making the smartphones on their network into portable Hot Spots. The option is greyed out on my Moto. I tried it while on a long road trip and was disappointed that I could not provide a portable Hot Spot while riding down the interstate highway. So, not using the iPad to surf the 'net. Excluding the possibility of buying another iPad with cellular, can an iPhone on a major carrier serve as a portable Hot Spot while rolling down the highway?

Thanks in advance.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
7: If I wanted to migrate from Tracfone to a pay-by-the-month carrier, my apparent choices are AT&T and Verizon Wireless. (The towers around here are apparently either CDMA or GSM) If I migrated to either of these carriers, and made an iPhone as my primary phone, what options are available for cord-cutting (using the cellular signal as my sole connection for voice, internet/data and FAX) to get rid of the landline, DSL and find a way to incorporate TV service? I've heard about throttling data rates and I wondered. Also, assuming I migrated: would it be a good idea to buy one of those MiFi devices to provide WiFi service without needing the phone all the time?

8: Tracfone does not support making the smartphones on their network into portable Hot Spots. The option is greyed out on my Moto. I tried it while on a long road trip and was disappointed that I could not provide a portable Hot Spot while riding down the interstate highway. So, not using the iPad to surf the 'net. Excluding the possibility of buying another iPad with cellular, can an iPhone on a major carrier serve as a portable Hot Spot while rolling down the highway?
I have a $40/1200 min/1200 txt/3GB annual smartphone plan from Tracfone on an unlocked iPhone 6 Plus and an older iPad Pro 9.7 (both backup devices) and hotspot works (Verizon network).

Iirc:

Tracfone Verizon
Android: no hotspot
iPhone: hotspot ok

Tracfone AT&T
Android: hotspot ok
iPhone: no hotspot

That said, 3GB data for an entire year is very little. Indeed, if you wish to stream videos, 3GB for a month is still very little.

On major carriers, I think most plans include hotspot now but better to double check and read the plan details. It's possible carriers may reserve hotspot support to more expensive plans.

Lol, I actually just ordered a Tracfone locked iPhone 6s for $140 over the holidays to switch the CDMA only backup flip phone to LTE (Verizon's killing off their CDMA network by 2021).

It's a pretty old model (2015) but A9 is still quite decent, supports VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling and runs iOS 13 just fine. It's locked to Tracfone and it needs to be on active Tracfone service for 12 months before you can request unlock. It's supposed to be brand new though with fresh battery so opted for this over unlocked, used on Swappa or ebay.

Here's a comparison of the iPhone 6s to the Moto G6 Plus (which has a faster chipset compared to your G6 Play)

The Mi-Fi device is a separate line charge and the hotspot is limited to either 5 or 10 devices (I forget). Honestly, even if you cancel TV, I think you're better off keeping your home internet plan if you plan on streaming Netflix and stuff.

Reactions: Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, at the current time we have a Verizon landline with DSL, along with two unlocked Motorola smartphones (one is my G6 Play, of course) that are both micro-SIMed to Tracfone. The other Moto is an E4. Neither of these phones offers "Hot Spot" capability, so I'm assuming Tracfone doesn't allow that.

For bargain mid-range unlocked cells, the E4 and G6 Play are probably slow compared to iPhones of any recent vintage, but they work for light use. The E4 is the least used phone. It sees very light use, and has been accumulating Tracfone minutes in large numbers because that phone number has been a Tracfone number for years, spanning multiple phones (going all the way back to the flip-phone era).

We've had all kinds of problems with Verizon's landline in recent years. The quality of Verizon's service had definitely gone downhill.

I'm just looking at future possibilities of what I could do with AT&T or Verizon Wireless if I someday shop for an iPhone replacement for the G6 Play.

We eliminated cable TV in 2007. We tried satellite dishes and found they just like to nickel 'n dime you to death and give lousy customer service. Hence the cord-cutting angle.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, at the current time we have a Verizon landline with DSL, along with two unlocked Motorola smartphones (one is my G6 Play, of course) that are both micro-SIMed to Tracfone. The other Moto is an E4. Neither of these phones offers "Hot Spot" capability, so I'm assuming Tracfone doesn't allow that.
As previously mentioned, it's not so much Tracfone that blocks hotspot ability but rather the underlying carriers that may have funky rules regarding what's allowed.

Tracfone Verizon
iPhone: hotspot ok -> I can confirm this works (iPhone 6 Plus)

Tracfone AT&T

We eliminated cable TV in 2007. We tried satellite dishes and found they just like to nickel 'n dime you to death and give lousy customer service. Hence the cord-cutting angle.
Lol, same. After the cable co wanted to charge $10 per cable box (which we had been getting for free prior), I cancelled cable TV service.

We're lucky enough to be within 20 miles and have line-of-sight to broadcast towers. Built 3 HTPCs and bought a couple of HDHomeRun tuners with the 1st year savings from cancelling cable TV (kept internet). We've just been on antenna and Netflix ever since. Later we got Amazon Prime (this was pretty much a freebie since I've been a Prime member since 2005, iirc). More recently, subscribed to Disney+ and have 1 year AppleTV+ (free with iPad purchase).

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
As previously mentioned, it's not so much Tracfone that blocks hotspot ability but rather the underlying carriers that may have funky rules regarding what's allowed.

Tracfone Verizon
iPhone: hotspot ok -> I can confirm this works (iPhone 6 Plus)

Tracfone AT&T

Our Motorola smarthphones are both GSM / AT&T-oritented via Tracfone. Neither offers Hot Spot capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.