Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
. . .Apple bought out El Gato Software, which makes EyeTV? This would be another entertainment acquisition for Apple and would allow Apple to extend the digital hub to the television and VCR. Apple could make their own "iTV" software for Mac OS X to be used in conjunction with the EyeTV TV tuner or an actual television. They could add RF and RCA inputs to the back of new computer systems that would allow to hook up your TV, VCR, and even a cable box to your Mac; you could also hook up the EyeTV TV tuner to your Mac through USB. You could then do everything that EyeTV can do and possibly more.

Would this actually work? What might be the advantages and disadvantages? Do you think it's a great idea?!?! :) :D :cool: :rolleyes:

EDIT: BTW, this is not a "What would the world be like. . ." thread. It is a thread about Apple and EyeTV. Don't be a "fool" like 'mymemory' was below! :eek:

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
What would the world be like if. . .

I was tre president of my country and I could luch a full air strike (with the 8 f16 we have left) to Cuba and destroy comunism once for all. If I had enought mental power to couse enough brain damage to George Bush to put him in a coma for about ten years.

That would be enough to warantee 10 more years of existance to this planet.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: What would the world be like if. . .

Originally posted by mymemory
I was tre president of my country and I could luch a full air strike (with the 8 f16 we have left) to Cuba and destroy comunism once for all. If I had enought mental power to couse enough brain damage to George Bush to put him in a coma for about ten years.

That would be enough to warantee 10 more years of existance to this planet.

Uh, that has nothing to do with this thread. :p

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
TV bad

I don't like all these threads and rumors about Mac's and TV's. Mac's are a creative platform. We hold the highest positions in graphics, audio, and video editing. This is both in terms of proffesional power software and consumer ease of use software. Television is a highly uncreative and zombie creating invention that enforces pop culture and consumerism. In my mind, the two don't belong together. TV just doesn't fit the "think differen't" image of Apple. And as I've said many times, Steve hates TV so it'll never happen.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I don't hate TV, I don't watch it all too often but I make sure that I'm not watching some pop-culture garbage like MTV & Fox.:p

I'd like to see a Mac at the center of a home entertainment center, but that's just not feasable right now.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
ok, now that you said FOX, I do watch fox simpson's, futurama, and grounded, but that's it...

and apparently (checking Watson now) this week, last 3 weeks or so, and even next weekend I will not be watching TV.

So I'm pushing 2 months or so.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
ugh!!

Originally posted by edvniow
I'd like to see a Mac at the center of a home entertainment center, but that's just not feasable right now.[/COLOR]

Too right. coaxials at the back (or side) of macs, too ugly. Wont happen unless it can be made to look nice on the Apple Store Shelf.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
You've got that right.;)
One of the great things about an iMac or even a Powermac to a certain extent, is the lack of wires coming out the back.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a box hooked up by 1394b, whenever it comes out, that would hold at least a 100GB HDD, and have A/V capture duties as well.
It could even be made to where the wires are hidden or something.
I'm waiting to see what happens with Rendezvous and Phillips, that's sure to be interesting.:)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I am still convinced, that with the right cable modem, you should be able to handle something there...without a separate cable

having the Simpsons stream over airport could be cool

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Actually, I'm planning to my the EyeTV once I get my powermac just so I can watch tv on the 22 inch monitor.

If Apple does that, it's great for college students...one less thing to buy....

My old performa used to have the inputs....saved me some cash....

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
Actually, I'm planning to my the EyeTV once I get my powermac just so I can watch tv on the 22 inch monitor.

If Apple does that, it's great for college students...one less thing to buy....

My old performa used to have the inputs....saved me some cash....

I doubt most college students have enough time to watch TV. And if they do, I'll be envying them (future CS major here).

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I do not stay on Campus, but I do know tons of students whom bitch and moan about nothing happening on campus.

well, apparently everyone has tv's, computers etc...

when I was a kid at my first collage, no one had those things, and Campus was JUMPIN'!!

that's yet another reason I hate tv, the internet can be just as bad for interperaonal skills

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Re: TV bad

Originally posted by holmesf
I don't like all these threads and rumors about Mac's and TV's. Mac's are a creative platform. We hold the highest positions in graphics, audio, and video editing. This is both in terms of proffesional power software and consumer ease of use software. Television is a highly uncreative and zombie creating invention that enforces pop culture and consumerism. In my mind, the two don't belong together. TV just doesn't fit the "think differen't" image of Apple. And as I've said many times, Steve hates TV so it'll never happen.

I don't know, a BIG focus of Apple has been 'Digital lifestyle', right ? And TV is not all bad if you watch it intelligently/actively, meaning you don't just sit down and watch TV to watch TV, but chose the content you want to watch. Record a show/program, cut out the ads, archive it etc...just don't let the TV stations impose their schedule on you.

But you are right, passive TV=bad ;)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Exactly

Originally posted by etoiles

I don't know, a BIG focus of Apple has been 'Digital lifestyle', right ? And TV is not all bad if you watch it intelligently/actively, meaning you don't just sit down and watch TV to watch TV, but chose the content you want to watch. Record a show/program, cut out the ads, archive it etc...just don't let the TV stations impose their schedule on you.

But you are right, passive TV=bad ;)

Passive TV is bad, that's why I like to have power over it.
Since I've been able to pause TV and reliably shedule recordings with my AIW card, I've actually started watching less TV.
Watching TV isn't bad, just so long as you have the power, not the boob tube.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.