Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Series 7 stainless steel or Series 8 Aluminium

• Series 7 Stainless Steel

Votes: 39 76.5%
  • Series 8 Aluminium

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
So I wan't to get an Apple Watch. But no colour is as nice as silver. So now I'm sitting here thinking what model is the best choice... I will use the watch for daily activities (at work, when shopping, etc.) but also while I workout or go for a run. I just can't decide whether to choose to S7 cause the stainless steel just look really nice but is also more expensive or get the S8 aluminium and just have the newer model which I could eventually use a bit longer before I need to get a newer version (looking forward to use this watch so long until either the software gets too old, the battery capacity is heavy low or the watch just breaks, so many many years).
If I get the S8 I would probably buy the Milanaise wristband, cause I feel for daily activities it just looks so much cleaner but for exercise or running its not good.
The other way around, if I would get the S7 I would probably buy the Nike Sports Loop, as I would get the watch with the Milanaise wristband and as I said I don't think this would work well while running, etc.
Would appreciate if someone can help me decide or share their experience or thoughts to my "problem".

Reactions: Kitkat52

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
In my opinion, 7 stainless steel is something that I will appreciate more than 8 features. In the past I bought a 4 SS instead of a 6 aluminium, for example.

Reactions: Aggamemnon

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
In my opinion, 7 stainless steel is something that I will appreciate more than 8 features. In the past I bought a 4 SS instead of a 6 aluminium, for example.
It's a really hard choice... The S8 will have the newer software for at least one year more. The S7 will probably last longer due to the better sapphire glass and the stainless steel... But the S7 will also cost me 178€ more... But on the other hand the S7 fits everywhere... for sports, for day to day activity but also when wearing a suit, because it just looks more luxurious than the aluminium version.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
My take is if a Milanese wristband is your desire, go with S7 for sure.
The dull silver finish the S8 Aluminum with a Milanese wristband is a look I do not prefer.
Also, I am not a fan of the Milanese because of the constant feeling it was loose, and several times of it coming undone while donning a jacket/hoodie or reaching into something like cabinet or clothes dryer.
Having a SS, Black SS, Ceramic, black nike and the ultra and my wife having a silver here goes.

As far as bands do the SS steel looks sharp with a silver lugged leather band but I don't really care for it with sport bands or nike bands. Bright watch dull textured bands.
The silver aluminum looks decent with more bands as the the dull finish of the watch pairs better with the finish of the bands.

If I were in your shoes. I would forego the SS and go with the aluminum, by apple care and a couple bands. Milanese would not be one of those bands.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Aluminium for me. Cheaper and lighter. But the screen will scratch easier, so consider screen protectors or just be careful with it.

Reactions: Glacier1

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've only owned SS and Ti watches since the S0 in 2015, but having seen aluminum watches in the store, I would definitely choose the SS S7 over an aluminum S8, no contest.

pw5a29

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Coventry, United Kingdom
It's a really hard choice... The S8 will have the newer software for at least one year more. The S7 will probably last longer due to the better sapphire glass and the stainless steel... But the S7 will also cost me 178€ more... But on the other hand the S7 fits everywhere... for sports, for day to day activity but also when wearing a suit, because it just looks more luxurious than the aluminium version.
The S8 has the same CPU processing power of the S6 and S7. So it won't last one year more.

The only thing OP has to consider is

Sapphire glass/stainless steel frame VS crash detection + temperature change check + X-ion glass/Aluminium frame

Reactions: Juanchi007

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I am a cheap charley and went with an aluminum S8. All I wanted is a watch and then the health apps that it has. Since I a ma US military veteran I hopped on the veterans website and got my watch for 10% off the list price. I am more of the functional type and do not care what the appearance is. Since I needed something to monitor my health and I am cheap I went the way I did and it fits my lifestyle but the thing is I also choose the space black version as it had the best appearance in my opinion.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Are you comparing to an lte S8, since all Steel models have lte. Also there is no guarantee that the S8 will get software a year more based on hardware. And if it does we are talking so many years in the future.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I was getting my first watch, so went with the standard black S8 aluminum watch as my first. I didn't want to sink too much into it because I wasn't sure I'd like it and because I'd just bought my first iPhone as well. I sometimes wish I went with Starlight instead of black, but here we are. I have no problem with the watch. I am more about functionality than looks, though I think that the one I ended up with looks just fine. It's been years since I've worn a suit or had to wear a dress shirt, but I think it would work well if I ever had to.

When diving in with new devices, I always get the latest. There's no real reason for it other than it's just what I've always done.

I love the watch, too. I find myself using my phone less than the watch sometimes.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Be careful using the aluminium watch with a suit. The Fashion Police will be all over that.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Considering how poor Siri is on my Apple Watch, I am sure as hell glad I haven’t paid silly money for a stainless or titanium version. The aluminium version is good enough for everyday use unless you like whacking your watches into brick walls daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.