Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
So i was gone for a few hours and i get back to my mbp in my dorm and there is a scratch on it like someone was using it while wearing a watch. its not that big but the scratch is 1 inch long an kind of annoys me because i know i didnt do it and its the only scratch on my comp. is there anyway to get it off or color it in?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I would put a pasword on my computer so that no one but me can use it without my permission. My desktop and laptop both are password protected.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I would put a detonator on it. Someone tries to use it and BOOM!!

There are some products that can help hide the scratch. I can not think of them now though.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I can understand your frustration, I would just speak to your roommate about respecting your items, and let it go for now. It's not worth having a bad living situation over a scratch.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Tell your roommate that if they want to use it (and you are cool with it), that they should ask first. Show them the scratch, and tell them to be careful with it in the future. If you aren't cool with them using it, tell them to quit touching your stuff.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
OP, you seem to have bad luck with roommates. I suggest you lock up your mbp so that no one else can use it, in addition to having a password (which really should have been there before this). Realisitically, your notebook could have been stolen quite easily if you had left it out on your desk. Dorms are notorious as some of the least secure locations for valuables like computers, esspecially Macs.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I completely agree with this. It also will use the camera on your laptop as a security camera to take a picture of the offendor. But I love the loud obnoxious alarm the most.

Its useful for freaking people out if not anything else :)

Clarabow

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
First of all, get iAlert U... just Google it.

Second, clean your Mac, there is not much you can do about it, however, I think there are some companies out there who supply a paint for it, like a touch up for a car.

but do as I do, think of it as good use :0)

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
In your situation, I would get a Kensington Lock for your macbook, along with iAlertU and lock it up to ur desk. If you have an external monitor, I would lock it up too (some monitors - especially newer ones - have kensington locks on them)

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
wow... I encourage all my roommates to use my macs. I guess I'm the only Mac Evanglist here. P.S my PowerBook has the same scratches from my watch. And I never found a good way to get rid of it.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
If you get iAlert U, the alarm will go off, and you won't hear it if you are out of the dorms - and it will be annoying for people until you return. I say, get it and then casually warn your roomate that you set it to go off...casually. That way he doesn't feel like you are accusing him.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
If you get iAlert U, the alarm will go off, and you won't hear it if you are out of the dorms - and it will be annoying for people until you return. I say, get it and then casually warn your roomate that you set it to go off...casually. That way he doesn't feel like you are accusing him.

I've got iAlertU and a Kensington lock attached to my MBP. iAlertU comes in handy if you're in the bathroom or in someone's room down the hall. I've also told my RA about iAlertU and the sound it makes (he's almost always in his room, so if he hears that go off...)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
iAlertU is the BOMB...

and I use it all the time, during those 10 minutes breaks while in class. Students are always asking me what program it is! Yes, it does put a drain on the battery, but that's the only down-side on this amazing alarm system.:cool:

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
and I use it all the time, during those 10 minutes breaks while in class. Students are always asking me what program it is! Yes, it does put a drain on the battery, but that's the only down-side on this amazing alarm system.:cool:

How loud is the alarm? From youtube videos it sounds so shrill...

nownot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
tx
confront everyone you know, espcially if you have a dorm-mate. in situations like this if you let them get away with little stuff it soon turns into a nightmare.

VOGUEx

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
you should talk to the roomie. tell them to not touch your stuff..w/o asking. and install ialertu i js did that and omg. its kinda loud. it should prevent roomies from touching ur comp again!. kinda got confused on how to turn it off..was set off for a min or two until i typed my password in. hehe.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
If you don't mind people using your stuff then I'm afraid you'll have to live with things like this happening. Find out who did it and point out that if they could be more careful with your property next time.

If however you'd prefer people to not use your stuff....I'd avoid sticking on any alarms on your Mac as it's not exactly going to lead to a friendly living environment. I think you should mention that your property being damaged bothers you and that perhaps it's best that people don't use it and simply respect that.

Now....you were after products to fix the scratch. Not sure if you have a MacBook or a MacBook pro....but this stuff is supposed to do wonders!

http://www.applesaucepolish.com/

roychen

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
I suggest you buy a good lock for your computer, password protect it, and use iAlertU if necessary. A MBP is an expensive piece of equipment and I definitely wouldn't want someone using it without my permission.

I used to stay on-campus, and there were a large number of notebooks stolen in the time I was there. Dorms usually have too many entrance/exits to secure properly, or they're situated in an area where lots of people pass through, etc, so please make sure you lock your windows and room doors as well. It literally is too easy to simply walk into an empty room and walk out with a notebook with no one noticing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.