Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Good morning,

I recently came across a friend who was getting rid of their 2013 (21.5) iMac. I upgraded the internals and now is running 16GB and 1TB RAM of SSD storage and it runs great. 99% of the time I’m just browsing, listening to music/movie, typing documents, occasionally editing something in iMovie and it works great. Especially considering I got the iMac for free.

Then about two days ago we had a community yard sale and a neighbor was selling their 2012 (21.5) iMac. I bought it for $30 so now I have two iMacs.

I already have a 12 inch MacBook 2017 that I used with me whenever I’m away from home.

I’ve always wanted an iMac and now I have 2 of them. Both run well and I personally don’t have any complaints… however because they are both iMacs, they don’t play well or connect to each other like that.

So I have 2 iMacs. And to add to all this, my also have 2 extra 24 inch Apple Cinema Displays. I’ll attach a photo in this thread.

So yeah, I have 2 iMacs and 2 external Apple monitors.

*EDIT* My initial plan is to have an iMac and 1 external Apple monitor next to it place on my desk in my office. The other iMac and Apple monitor would reside on another desk but in my bedroom. Edited to more easily explain.

I suppose this is a good problem to have.

Many years ago I didn’t have any Apple computer and now I literally have 4 screens (2 iMacs, 2 external Apple displays)… and I suppose I want to better utilize them.

Attachments

• DF36B727-C314-4C0D-90D1-9C784C6B42B1.jpeg
    DF36B727-C314-4C0D-90D1-9C784C6B42B1.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Sounds like you can easily split them up into two sets. The question is if you can make a lot of use and if that setup provides value to you.

Personally I’d probably give the iMacs to my kids.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Sounds like you can easily split them up into two sets. The question is if you can make a lot of use and if that setup provides value to you.

Personally I’d probably give the iMacs to my kids.
Im really glad the first response mentions gifting it to kids.

I feel an iMac would be a better gift than an iPad nowadays.

Reactions: uller6

GaryGnu

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2019
I'd set them up across from each other, kick off Siri on each and see how long they can have a conversation before it starts getting very weird.

• Haha
Reactions: MultiFinder17

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Im really glad the first response mentions gifting it to kids.

I feel an iMac would be a better gift than an iPad nowadays.
Both have their place these days and it’s worth teaching kids how to use them both, in my opinion.

While you might not be able to make much money on the sale you may likely find someone to whom they are a great gift. Best success!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.