Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I got my iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB Silver, after having my iPhone XS Max 512GB Space Grey for 3 years, not sure what's a good price, it's an at&t model, I see 9to5mac's trade-in site says $350, and then $400 for unlocked, but not sure if 1. I can get the XS Max unlocked, and 2. If I can, would it be considered unlocked? I'm wary of selling on eBay, too many people trying to rip people off, it's basically brand new looking, case since day 1, screen protector, no cracks. Thanks to anyone who has any idea or advice.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Sell it in person are a police station door 350-400 is fair price. Sucks about the depreciation. if it’s paid off is qualified to be unlocked. There was a rule in place where operators have to unlock the device when it’s no longer in contract.

Reactions: JUCJ85

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Sell it in person are a police station door 350-400 is fair price. Sucks about the depreciation. if it’s paid off is qualified to be unlocked. There was a rule in place where operators have to unlock the device when it’s no longer in contract.
I figured those were good prices, thank you.
Why didn’t you trade it in for iPhone 13 … been selling on for 10 year no issue
I couldn't trade it in as I was in California, so I didn't know when it would be delivered, my 13PM, so I didn't want to chance it. I've only ever sold one phone on eBay, it went fine, but it was a HTC One way back before the iPhone 6/6+ came out, so idk how selling an iPhone on eBay would be, I usually hand my iPhone's down, but my Mom & Sister have new iPhone's, so no need to hand it down to one of them.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I bet you can sell it far more than apples trade in. People are always out for a deal
Yeah I agree, Apple is way lower than anyone else.
Go to swappa.com and check out the iPhone section. They’ve got lists of prior sales. You can see what they’re selling for.
never did swappa, how’s the process go? Do I send the phone to them, and then they ship to whoever buys it?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
never did swappa, how’s the process go? Do I send the phone to them, and then they ship to whoever buys it?

No it’s just like eBay in a way but they verify the phone is clear when you send them info they’ll ask for.
When someone buys your phone, you get an email with shipping info. You ship it directly to the buyer.

I’ve purchased 2 phones on swappaa and a tablet. No problems.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
No it’s just like eBay in a way but they verify the phone is clear when you send them info they’ll ask for.
When someone buys your phone, you get an email with shipping info. You ship it directly to the buyer.

I’ve purchased 2 phones on swappaa and a tablet. No problems.
Purchasing isn’t the issue. id buy on swappa. It’s the risk for sellers you can get fraudulant buyers who will reverse chargemyou up on receipt of your iPhone. they use PayPal and with PayPal they can initiate a return and ship you a bunch of rocks and there’s nothing you can do unless you come fly to the thief’s house. Had that happen to me before of a MacBook Pro losing $1700.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Purchasing isn’t the issue. id buy on swappa. It’s the risk for sellers you can get fraudulant buyers who will reverse chargemyou up on receipt of your iPhone. they use PayPal and with PayPal they can initiate a return and ship you a bunch of rocks and there’s nothing you can do unless you come fly to the thief’s house. Had that happen to me before of a MacBook Pro losing $1700.
What's your opinion? I'm afraid of getting ripped off, of course $400 is nothing compared to $1700, Damn, idk what I would have done if that was me, so sick of the whole PayPal sides with buyers every time, there needs to be something that protects the sellers as well, I would like a site that I send the phone to them, they inspect, then send it out, then release the money to me, something like that, I've never sold a phone outside of the HTC One I mentioned on eBay back in the day, but an iPhone scares me, so many people out there to rip you off.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
In person. Either offer up, Craigslist, fb marketplace. Meet at Starbucks or police station. Again I would not hesitate buying a phone on swappa but I’d never sell. Last thing you want is getting reverse charged And be SOL.

bloo69

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
Hi all, first post on here.
I'm from the uk and just had me an iPhone xs max 510gb as my last iPhone was the 6s so to me the xs max is great,i paid £350 and it's like new and unlocked with all the box and stuff in it unused in silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.