Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I have an M2 Pro Mini that I just bought a few weeks ago. I installed some software that's been making my Mini act weird. So I did the whole reset thing from the settings section. But when I do that it doesn't bring my Mini to the original hello screen like when I first started my machine. Instead it brings me to a "activate my Mac" screen. Is there any way I can get back to the original start up screen like when I first started the machine? I'm running Sonoma if that matters.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I'd put a bootable OS installer on a USB stick. First log out of iCloud in the mini's OS. Then use the Disk Utility on the USB to wipe the internal drive. Then install the OS from the USB. I don't know about the "activate" screen, but this should do the trick of resetting everything. Well, you could also Google how to reset the nvram parameters if that's still a thing.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
But when I do that it doesn't bring my Mini to the original hello screen like when I first started my machine. Instead it brings me to a "activate my Mac" screen.
If I’m not mistaken, “Hello” comes after “Activate my Mac”.
Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t mention the activate step in the documentation https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/apd831707cb3/mac

Related conversation https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/update-brand-new-mac-without-setting-it-up.2414310/

Reactions: Ben J.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yep, that's expected behavior. Activate the Mac and then you should see the Hello screen.

This support article goes through the process in great detail and talks about the activation step.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This will work (guaranteed):

Boot up, get to the finder.

Open the System Settings app.

On the left, click "General".

Now, on the right, click "Transfer or Reset".

Now, towards the bottom, see the button "Erase all Content and Settings"?

Click that, and you invoke the Erase Assistant.

DO SO, and follow the instructions. You'll need your password.

When it's all done, it will "wipe clean" the Mac of all your user settings and data, and it should present the original setup screen (choose your language) as "if new"...

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
This will work (guaranteed):

Boot up, get to the finder.

Open the System Settings app.

On the left, click "General".

Now, on the right, click "Transfer or Reset".

Now, towards the bottom, see the button "Erase all Content and Settings"?

Click that, and you invoke the Erase Assistant.

DO SO, and follow the instructions. You'll need your password.

When it's all done, it will "wipe clean" the Mac of all your user settings and data, and it should present the original setup screen (choose your language) as "if new"...
Yes, this is what the OP did. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago and also thought I did something wrong when the Activate Mac screen showed up instead of the Hello screen right away, but it's expected behavior. It just seemed backwards, especially when we're used to how "Erase all Content and Settings" works on the iPhone and iPad. On those devices, you activate them during the setup process, so it threw me (and the OP) off guard when the Mac wanted to activate when we didn't get to the setup screen yet.

Reactions: Ben J.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
*update*

Boy did I go through some sh*t today. I tried to do a master reset on my Mini and things went south pretty bad. It brought me to set up a new keyboard prompt and it wouldn't let me move forward no matter what I tried. I called Apple tech support and they tried several things with me for over an hour. End result was they told me to go to one of my local Apple stores to get a replacement Mini since mine was still under the 14 day period. I just got my new Mini up and running and everything is great. I also did a Time Machine backup once I got everything set up.

Hopefully I never go through that mess again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.