Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I have VLC 0.8.1, but it's having problems playing some, I guess newer, WMV videos. I'm going to try out VLC 0.8.4

I'd prefer to stay away from the actual Windows Media Player... or do you recommend WMP?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You'll need Flip4Mac. There is no trial or shareware version for it available, but it'll play up to Windows Media 8 or 9 (?). It won't play the latest WMV codec.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You could also try MPlayer although it's dropped the ball in the last year or so and I find that it's not as universally compatible as VLC. Still might be worth a try though, because it's free. :)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Lincoln 6 Echo said:
I'd prefer to stay away from the actual Windows Media Player... or do you recommend WMP?

I don't think anyone would recommend it, but unfortunately it's the only choice for the newest codec. If VLC won't play it, MPlayer won't either.

--Eric

smitty078

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
Actually if you are looking to play windows media 10 files, you're only option is to use a PC. Same goes for windows media 9 DRM'd files. This is true even if you are using the latest official Windows Media Player for mac. Best bet is called Flip4Mac and it is a codec that plays all windows media files up to windows media 9 (which is all that the official player will play) in quicktime. Flip4Mac is what I've had the most success with.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Eric5h5 said:
I don't think anyone would recommend it, but unfortunately it's the only choice for the newest codec.

I didn't think WMP played the newest WMVs either though, as smitty078 says. Nevertheless, I recommend trying WMP all the same. :)

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Another vote for Flip4Mac...it works well and keeps things consistent, being able to play WMVs within Quicktime.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
dude.

i have the latest windows media player installed on my mac, and
i'd say 85% of all wmv's i encounter dont play. Its fricking retared.
so ANYTHING is better than WMP.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
obeygiant said:
i have the latest windows media player installed on my mac, and
i'd say 85% of all wmv's i encounter dont play. Its fricking retared.
so ANYTHING is better than WMP.

Mmmm...I think either you're only going to specific sites that use WMP10 codecs, or something is set up wrong. WMP works pretty well for me. There are occasionally videos that won't play, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Nermal said:
Yes there is. It'll play the first half of the video.

Yup, I just got it few days ago.

Although, I still can't get streaming (wmv?) files to play. For instance, comedy central and NBC want nothing to do with my mac. :mad:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
mad jew said:
You could also try MPlayer although it's dropped the ball in the last year or so and I find that it's not as universally compatible as VLC. Still might be worth a try though, because it's free. :)

I totally disagree with you. mPlayer has been amazing for me and it trumps VLC in many ways. The main reason I love it would be how well it plays off of CD-R/DVD-R. mPlayer also scrubs MUCH better through video. I find that both players are about equal when it comes to the vastness of how much they play.

VLC is very elegant and well designed but mPlayer is a beast that never lets me down or wishing for better options.

Not many use the version I do so maybe you should try it: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27163

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
FadeToBlack said:
Microsoft REALLY needs to update WMP for Mac. I was just thinking about that a minute ago before I read this thread.

I couldn't agree more...it's still stuck in the dark ages of WMP 7. Regardless of that, WMP is just a horrible player all round (even the proper windows version). As many others have said, if VLC won't play it, then chances are nothing else will.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
max_altitude said:
I couldn't agree more...it's still stuck in the dark ages of WMP 7. Regardless of that, WMP is just a horrible player all round (even the proper windows version). As many others have said, if VLC won't play it, then chances are nothing else will.

Yeah, I actually deleted WMP a week or so ago in hopes that I could just use VLC for WMV files. That didn't happen. I re-installed WMP yesterday. :D

I guess I'll just have to put up with it until Microsoft releases a new version.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I use Flip4Mac's WMV Player for WMV. It works perfectly on all the WMVs I've tried. Of course, to truly be able to view all the media out there I need the MSMPEGv1 and v2 codecs (which I have - someone kind made Mac OS X-compatible QuickTime components for these, unfortunately they are Stuffit-compressed) and the awful RealPlayer for Mac OS X.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
mkrishnan said:
Mmmm...I think either you're only going to specific sites that use WMP10 codecs, or something is set up wrong. WMP works pretty well for me. There are occasionally videos that won't play, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

okay, i go everywhere, and they dont play. and not just pr0n sites thank you.

heres what i get

1wontplay9cv.png

then i click yes and i get a blank windows media player just playing audio.

http://www.devilducky.com/media/38849/
http://www.devilducky.com/media/9267/

try it.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Nermal said:
Works fine with Flip.

within safari?
or do you open up quicktime
cuz i have flip installed and it still wont play

ok i ve restarted safari and it works, but the real issue here in that WMP sucks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
obeygiant said:

I just tried the first one, but I get an inline WMP box in the webpage, and a clip from Family Guy plays in it. Which is supposed to be the desired effect, right? I don't get any error messages. Sorry...

But anyway, Flip4mac sounds really nice, since you can get most media down to using just one client (QT). I hope it works for you...one of these days, I'm meaning to check it out. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.