Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

I just purchased an LG UK850 from Amazon and plugged it into my XPS 15. As you can see, there is a serious problem with screen flickering.

Is there any way I can diagnose this as a screen issue or graphics card issue with the laptop? I would hate to go through the hassle of having to do warranty claims and repackaging it and sending it back for a replacement, but at the same time.... this is pretty bad. Maybe I should just send this back.

It happens about every 10 minutes or so.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Hi,
did you try different cables/connnections? Like HDMI, Displayport whatever the monitor supports?
Does it happen with other monitors, too?

Reactions: TSE

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi,
did you try different cables/connnections? Like HDMI, Displayport whatever the monitor supports?
Does it happen with other monitors, too?

HDMI is what I've been using - USB-C doesnt even work. The screen isn't recognized at all

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I would definitely try to find a different monitor and test the notebook there. I'm not an expert but that looks like a faulty GPU to me, or some driver issues. I remember seeing similar stuff with MacBooks where the GPU died.

Reactions: TSE

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I would definitely try to find a different monitor and test the notebook there. I'm not an expert but that looks like a faulty GPU to me, or some driver issues. I remember seeing similar stuff with MacBooks where the GPU died.

Received my replacement monitor and shipped the old one back. No flickering at all!

Reactions: grmlin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.