Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Thinking about my next iMac purchase, and wondering if anyone has any input on this. I was pretty sold on the top end iMac Pro when I heard the specs, but based on the benchmarks so far, it seems the Pro models don't scale well according to the cores and price. Since the top end i7 does a good job with its Quick Sync, it had me wondering if one could theoretically add a top end GPU (not sure if it's possible, but maybe even 2) like the Vega 64 and get much better performance in FCPx for a lower price.

From what I see, FCPx is mostly GPU optimized as far as export and major effects are concerned.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
FCPX is optmised for AMD hardware not Nvidia the iMac pro has the best amd hardware currently available.it will be the iMac pro for this reason.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Likely the iMac Pro. The 2019 Mac Pro will likely be much faster though as it can likely be scaled up much more, even in comparison to an updated iMac Pro - In case you can wait.

klazmandoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
They removed eGPU support from FCPX 10.4 to boost iMac Pro sales. In 10.3.xx versions eGPU works just fine.

DavidDoyle

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2013
They removed eGPU support from FCPX 10.4 to boost iMac Pro sales. In 10.3.xx versions eGPU works just fine.

I'm surprised at Apple's position for eGPU with the introduction of support in 10.13.4 but apparent removal of support in FCPX. This does seem a very contradictory position to take.

Back to the OP's original question, the use of an GPU through an external connection (eGPU) does hit performance (e.g. https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/)

In my view, Apple's support for eGPU seems uncertain and with deliberate crippling, either at the OS or 'Pro' application level, whereas other products like Resolve are not. The use of an eGPU introduces a performance hit compared to using an internal GPU. To me, the unknown support position and performance handicap would point to have the best internal GPU, which is the iMac Pro at the present time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.