Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Lately, for about 3 weeks now Airport has really been driving me over the edge. It would loose signal, even though I'm right near the wireless router. Most of the time, I'll tilt the powerbook a little to the side, move it, or turn it on and off and it'll catch signal right away. But its the other times that really get to me. Other times, it'll have no signal for about... 5 min max. Is it just me? I scanned through the forums quickly and didn't catch anything recent about airport... unless I missed it, sorry.

I have 12inch 1.33 ghz PB that is 2 years old on Tiger.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is funny you say that. Mine, the second to last rev,...whatever that is, is doing this. It is off the wall. I actually failed an exam online last friday because of it. I keep dropping connections.

pb 1.67 15"

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
When my brother first got his iBook, it didn't come with AP. He later bought an AirPort Extreme card, and installed himself. He was too gentle to his iBook, and put it in too loose. I dunno if your antenna might have gone loose. I know it is in the side of your screen, but take it to a store. BTW, many new Intel Macs have had AirPort problems, but this was fixed with a FirmWare update.

kev0476

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
Salt Lake City, Ut
doesn't sound like your issue is solved. i am having the same, or at least close problems, the signal goes out so much, like goes out for a second and comes back, and then after a while it is just gone. it is really annoying because i play wow a lot and it keeps losing the signal, any help would be great, would an external antenna help? i have a 17" powerbook Rev A so it does have some sort of pci slot.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
No, problem not solved. I think my powerbook is a rev. C. The one before the last one... It's so annoying because when I loose signal and I walk up to the router... it still will not register the signal until I turn airport off and on. This powerbook came with a AE built in so it couldn't be something I did while installing it.

I would go to the apple store, since it's so close. But the last time I was there, they basically told me that I was a schizophrenic and that the noise my powerbook makes when you tilt it doesn't exist. So according to Apple, I'm a schizophrenic and they're deaf. :confused:

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Consider interference from cordless phones and other wifi base stations using the same channel. My neighbors station completely overwelmed my airport outside my house. Had to change channels

kev0476

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
Salt Lake City, Ut
well the windoze and the ibook seem to be working fine, they are a lot closer to the router but still i am only two floors down directly underneath it, it should work. my dad says i am crazy when it comes to the cordless phone, i noticed it freaks out 15 min after using it, and then i have to restart the router, is this just a coincidence or is it the phone, i would think not because that makes no sense at all, but they are both on 2.4 ghz. we do have a linksys router if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.