Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Siri, while always pretty poor, has become disastrously bad in the last few weeks. What change has occurred?

When music is playing on the HomePod:
Me: "Hey Siri. Stop"
Siri: "No one is calling at this time"
This always used to work to stop music.

Desire to listen to up tempo music:
Me: "Hey Siri. Playing some fast music"
Siri: "Now playing Slow Slow sounds" 🤣

A friend tonight claimed they had no idea what the catchy but annoying Friends theme song sounded like. We joked that Siri would give a preposterous response:
Me: "Hey Siri, play the Friends theme tune"
Siri: "Now playing The Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song"

Siri's recurring trick, when you say something to it:
"I don't know who is talking. Check the Home App"
There's only one user in the Home App! What on Earth is wrong with Apple's abomination lately? It's never been close to this useless before.

It's really funny at times, but awful.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I can't recall when exactly it happened, but within the last month-ish I noticed that Siri on iOS and iPadOS started responding differently to (some?) HomeKit commands. It used to be:

"Hey Siri, set the kitchen light white"

"Voila, white!"

Now it's:

(two-tone sound plays) (info card appears, showing home name, light name and status)

I like the new way better.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I can't recall when exactly it happened, but within the last month-ish I noticed that Siri on iOS and iPadOS started responding differently to (some?) HomeKit commands. It used to be:

"Voila, white!"

Now it's:

(two-tone sound plays) (info card appears, showing home name, light name and status)

I like the new way better.
That's interesting. It does sound like quite a good response.

Random Siri question: why does Siri always seem to want to play live versions of songs instead of album versions? Even if you request the album version specifically, or tell Siri "never play this song again", Siri forces the live version upon you until you get your phone out of your pocket and suffer the awful Music app to find it. Lower royalties for Apple to pay perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.