Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Hey guys, I've just recently began folding again :)

Thought it would be good to start a thread on what setups you guys have with F@H.

I have 2 computers, P4 2.8ghz and a P4 3ghz HT. I reckon I will be able to get a good 200+ points a day.

So what is in your crop?

BTW I'm folding as Snousa as I have stuffed up DeSnousa :)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
welcome back!

changes all the time as hardware comes and goes... most stable bits are a mac pro, a mac mini, a ps3, and a E6700 (c2d @ 2.66ghz) in a file server that folds 24/7.

summer is on the way in here, so we'll see how long they all keep folding.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
PS3: Bought it broken, I do not play games. It folds 24/7.

Mac Mini: My home desktop, folding is on 24/7 as the computer is on all the time for remoting as needed. Probably used 2-3 hours a day for other tasks.

MB and MPB: Make occasional appearances if I am not going to use/move one for a couple of days. I do not like the sounds coming from either of them at 100% load. Both run the SMP client, so it is a pretty big commitment to get WU's out of my mobile computers.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Hey guys. I still have one system from my last job (12 months gone!) reporting in, a dual 1.8 G5 that gets a good 100-150 points a day.

I just turned my octo 2.8ghz MP on to the task. I did the graphical client and it started up just fine. Is it only supposed to run 4 cores at 100%? Because that's all I'm seeing. Even with that, I've done over 3500 points in the last 24 hours! So I think I'll be climbing back up the charts again around here. I was in the top 20 back when macrumors team was cracking the top 20...

fun fun.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
e8200@3.65ghz is my main guy

running 10.5.4

Attachments

• 0628082309.jpg
    0628082309.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 355

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
e8200@3.65ghz is my main guy

running 10.5.4

wow, badass! love the cpu cooler, do you run the fan fast or can it handle the OC as stock?

also like the backside cooler on the video card. i have wondered for 10 years or more why the hell most cards dump the heat below the card so it stays right next to the card instead of getting exhausted... :confused:

nice rig. :)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
doesn't it say specifically not to do that on the FAH site?

yeah, that's the official stanford line. the reason is that running more than 1 client causes a delay. that is, 1 client is going to finish a step in 11 minutes, and running 2 clients, each step is up to 13-15 minutes depending on the work unit. so each work unit now takes 5+ hours longer to finish. slows down the science is the phrase i hear repeated. you care about points, they care about returned/completed work units. can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

with that said, you can use increase to run 1, 2, or more clients on your box. one thread (can't remember where) a guy with your system is running 3 clients with no problem, but i remember him having a crap load of memory in the system, and don't know if that matters.

HERE to download or read more. i don't have anything with 8 so no knowledge, but it's in the folding wiki and on several of the boards, people running it with success. best of luck.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the next SMP beta is supposed to have the ability to span all system cores. that is run 1 client and engage 4, 8, 16 or more cores. should be something to see if they get it working!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I run a PS3 nearly 24/7 except the hours I'm watching a Blu-Ray or playing a game. Also I run a MacBook C2Duo 2GHz about 20 hours a day. The MacBook is good for about 900 points/day on average and the PS3 is good for about a 1000 points/day on average.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
wow, badass! love the cpu cooler, do you run the fan fast or can it handle the OC as stock?

also like the backside cooler on the video card. i have wondered for 10 years or more why the hell most cards dump the heat below the card so it stays right next to the card instead of getting exhausted... :confused:

nice rig. :)
thanks!

here's a few more pics. the whole rigs pretty well ventilated, 2x120mm up front, 120mm in back, 200mm on top, 120mm on CPU, 120 on power supply (and even room for 2 more 120mm!)

i ran smp folding on it for a step, the CPU Fan leveled at 644RPM, not too bad. it probably could handle the OC w/o the fan, but i wouldn't run it that way folding 24/7

sorry for the shïtty quality, it's from my camera phone

Attachments

• 0701082221.jpg
    0701082221.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 0701082221a.jpg
    0701082221a.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 0701082226.jpg
    0701082226.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 155

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
2x PS3
2x intel imac
1x powermac g5 dual 2.0GHz
3x fulltime PCs
3x part-time PCs (@nights & on weekends)
1x not sure

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Geez, some real powerhouses working the numbers around here! :eek:

PB G4 1.5 folding whenever I use it.
CD2 PC @ 3Ghz
CD IMac @ 2.0 Ghz

I thought about resurrecting my PPro200 PC to fold, but didn't think it will add that much overall.

Can you imagine if Apple ran F@H at their stores for like one week? :eek:

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
yeah, that's the official stanford line. the reason is that running more than 1 client causes a delay. that is, 1 client is going to finish a step in 11 minutes, and running 2 clients, each step is up to 13-15 minutes depending on the work unit. so each work unit now takes 5+ hours longer to finish. slows down the science is the phrase i hear repeated. you care about points, they care about returned/completed work units. can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

with that said, you can use increase to run 1, 2, or more clients on your box. one thread (can't remember where) a guy with your system is running 3 clients with no problem, but i remember him having a crap load of memory in the system, and don't know if that matters.

HERE to download or read more. i don't have anything with 8 so no knowledge, but it's in the folding wiki and on several of the boards, people running it with success. best of luck.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the next SMP beta is supposed to have the ability to span all system cores. that is run 1 client and engage 4, 8, 16 or more cores. should be something to see if they get it working!

I have 3 clients running on my MP 2.8 8 core. works pretty darn good. I always thought stanford recommended one client per 4 core processor, hence saying go with 2 clients on a 8 core Mac Pro, but I looked a bit, and didn't see it, but I swear I have.

Running more than one client shouldn't bother them a bit as long as you finish the WU by the preferred date. which you can with 3.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Hey guys, I've just recently began folding again :)

So what is in your crop?
During the SETI 1 days, I had 20-25 computers working.

If memory serves, I stopped after reaching 12,000 WU's. I do have a copy of completion of my 11,111 WU.

It was fun, then they switched to SETI 2 and I lost interest. Now I have only a few computers that I could use, but with electricity costs these days, I probably won't start up again with any of them.

Of course if there was some sort of compensation, that might change my perspective. Although, I don't see that happening (the compensation part).

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
I have 3 clients running on my MP 2.8 8 core. works pretty darn good. I always thought stanford recommended one client per 4 core processor, hence saying go with 2 clients on a 8 core Mac Pro, but I looked a bit, and didn't see it, but I swear I have.

Running more than one client shouldn't bother them a bit as long as you finish the WU by the preferred date. which you can with 3.

the current SMP beta is coded for 4 cores, so that might be what you are thinking of. the next (due out ?) is supposed to span all available cores, and should really fly if they get it working, especially on systems like yours.

the 'more than one' client thing from their side just comes down to science and serial computing (one out, one in). the faster they send wu's and receive results from each specific client, the faster the project goes. i agree with you, and i also run multiples on a few boxes. if i can meet or beat the preferred deadline, it's all good. just figured i would chime in with the official line and the reason behind it since someone asked.

all folding is good folding!

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Small introduction: I just switched from another mac team that is getting nowhere and it looks like here could use some help in Folding. There are many new heavy hitting teams that have cropped up in Folding in the last months, this team will need to scale up a lot if it wants to resist. My contrbution will help (ie top 5 cruncher of the team within the week hopefully ;) ). I have been Folding for five years.

Setup (24/7):

iMac 2.16Ghz
MacBook 2.0Ghz
Mac Mini 2.0Ghz
MacBook Air 1.6Ghz

All crunching basically 24/7.

I also have four G4 PPC but not worth to run them anymore since the Intel SMP clients are so fast.

I hope to bring an 8 core Mac Pro to replace the iMac at some point, but not sure I really need it. Maybe it will be a 4 core iMac instead. A PS3 would help nicely although I don't do games (no time).

My biggest gripe with Folding: many units lost just by stopping the restarting the client for software intalls or such. Really annoying, didn't found a solution yet. Maybe stopping the fah6 client in "Acivity Monitor" isn't the right way to do but I don't know any other way (console client).

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
^ thx for joining! looks like you have a lot of power there.

the way i usually stop the client is with control-c in the terminal window. after the crtl-c, it usually gives some shutting down commands. i am not sure if activity monitor gives it the right stop signal. i haven't had too many problems with the ctrl-c method. there is also the kill command but that may be less graceful (?)

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I close the terminal window after launching the program, so no ctrl-c possible...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.