Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Of course the obvious is the missing larger sized iMac. But lets put that aside for now.

We now can use it as an external monitor, so what else is there that’s missing?

Here are some thoughts:
-M3 Pro/Max chips
-tilt and height adjustable stand
-rotating to portrait orientation
-chinless and with equal bezels all around
-more ports
-all black model

When I look at this list, it almost sounds like the ultimate iMac is simply housed inside a Pro Display XDR.

So what’s missing for you?

Reactions: splitpea

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
We now can use it as an external monitor
We lost this capability (target display mode) when they switched to Apple Silicon.

If they do bring it back, hopefully it's done in a way that doesn't require having to boot into a functional OS. That was a pain point for some users in the past. If the hard drive crashed or something else went wrong, it couldn't be used as a monitor.

• Sad
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
We lost this capability (target display mode) when they switched to Apple Silicon.

If they do bring it back, hopefully it's done in a way that doesn't require having to boot into a functional OS. That was a pain point for some users in the past. If the hard drive crashed or something else went wrong, it couldn't be used as a monitor.

Yes, target displays mode was removed.

But using a thunderbolt cable, your iMac can be an external display.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY

Target Display Mode went away when the iMac display panels switched to 5K in 2014, well before Apple Silicon. I suspect it had to do with bandwidth limitations of driving the 5K display from an external source; at the time the iMac 5k was launched the only way to connect to a 5K external display was with a dual cable solution as Thunderbolt 3 was still a few years off. Apple just never added the functionality back in.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Yes, target displays mode was removed.

But using a thunderbolt cable, your iMac can be an external display.
This is Airplay Receiver feature which doesn't require a TB cable, just the computers to be on the same network. Not clear to me why the dude in the video is using the TB cable.

Also, Airplay Receiver is officially supported on iMac Pro or iMac 2019+ running Monterey or later.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
This is Airplay Receiver feature which doesn't require a TB cable, just the computers to be on the same network. Not clear to me why the dude in the video is using the TB cable.

Also, Airplay Receiver is officially supported on iMac Pro or iMac 2019+ running Monterey or later.

Good to know.
But I guess my point is that it is possible to use the iMac as an external display.

Doesn’t Airplay Receiver effectively do what target display did?

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY

AirPlay only supports a resolution of 1080p max, so you're wasting resolution going that route.

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020

1. Memory. Currently have a loaded Intel 27" iMac, and am not settling for anything less in a newer machine (esp. now that the video ram is shared, er "unified").

2. A nice heavy black bezel. Which the Studio and Pro displays still have.

3. Would be nice to drop the current power brick and have the iMac be a real AIO again with minimal cabling. Versus the kinda 3/4-in-one which it is now.

For all the hate of the chin I kinda like it, and wish it still had the Apple logo. It sets the machine apart as a computer, versus "Is this a display or what is this thing"?.

Last edited:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Of course the obvious is the missing larger sized iMac. But lets put that aside for now.

We now can use it as an external monitor, so what else is there that’s missing?

Here are some thoughts:
-M3 Pro/Max chips
-tilt and height adjustable stand
-rotating to portrait orientation
-chinless and with equal bezels all around
-more ports
-all black model

When I look at this list, it almost sounds like the ultimate iMac is simply housed inside a Pro Display XDR.

A compelling reason to buy one.

I actually have an M1 iMac and it’s basically just a Netflix box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Still miss the G4 iMac that allows you to adjust more than just the pitch angle of the screen (yes I know about VESA mounts, but the are not as pretty)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I was a LONG TERM iMac 27" user across a couple of generations... but bailed to Studio plus a 5K ultra-wide monitor since. Could never come back to 16:10. So if we're making wishes, add an ultra-wide iMac or two. All that added screen RE is very useful.

With bootcamp killed by Silicon and ARM Windows not full Windows, put at least one other input on it so people who need a PC could connect an actual PC and switch between Mac and PC. I have that with the ultra-wide and love that flexibility to use one screen with both platforms.

I agree with several of the other wishes posted by others, particularly the one about putting some m.2 slots inside that can use standard m.2 for expansion SSD inside the case. Since Macs since Big Sur can suffer from "unexpected ejections" of some- but not all- external enclosures, conceptually an Apple-endorsed way to optionally plug in some sizable storage INSIDE should yield some reliable storage of size. An "all-in-one" with drives hanging off of it is not exactly an all-in-one. Those who buy for the simplicity beauty might appreciate the flexibility for big storage inside. Of course, Apple Inc would rather sell $2200 8TB instead of letting users get 8TB for under $700 at retail... but this is a wish list, not any kind of actual expectations.

Personally, I'd never buy another all-in-one without the ability to repurpose the screen as a monitor when Apple obsoletes the tech guts (the airplay option is not good enough IMO). iMac is a great value going in but a terrible one at the end. However, make it able to easily become a monitor to use until the screen portion conks and that utility makes it more attractive.

Roll out the bigger one. 24" is great and all but I'd have zero interest in anything smaller than the traditional 27" and would be more interested in the 30"-32" rumor... again- for me- ultra wide (the one I chose for Studio is 40" but about the same screen height as the old 27" iMac- just much more of it).

The ultra-wide has a couple of easily accessible USB-A and USB-C ports on the bottom- very convenient vs. reaching around back... and a loaded hub hidden in the back, with a variety of commonly-used ports in 2024 vs. just a few of a single type.

Thicken it to MBpro base thickness if that's what it takes to offer PRO & MAX options too. It looks like the thickness difference would only a be a few millimeters and how important is the iPad on a stick look from the side when a MB (bottom half) on a stick would look almost the same unless one breaks out a mm gauge to really notice.

Dump the lightning accessories.

Again, my own opinion: no notch or island. If the only way to have a cam requires one of those, I'd rather jettison the cam and use continuity camera or similar when I need a camera.

Avoid any "stand option" nonsense. Be competitive with the monitor sellers. Include the stand options.

No $1000 stand nonsense either. That (the pricing not the stand) just looks UGLY through a consumer lens. Make an all-in-one scream consumer value -as 27" used to do- not "we need to fill new vault number 89+, so what else can we turn into lucrative upsell options?"

Last edited:

cheese1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
They need to add the apple logo back to the front. That was one of my favorite parts. The colors are great. I wish they would make a larger display size though with a higher end m series chip.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'd like a detachable stand. The great thing about the thin slate format is that if you need to move it then you can just pack it into a big enough suitcase, which I've done several times. But when I've done so I've had to leave the stand sticking out of the suitcase, which just makes it awkward.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I'd like a detachable stand. The great thing about the thin slate format is that if you need to move it then you can just pack it into a big enough suitcase, which I've done several times. But when I've done so I've had to leave the stand sticking out of the suitcase, which just makes it awkward.
That is another argument for buying the VESA version.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
My two biggest problems with the iMac are:

- The base model comes with very little memory and storage, and worse:
- The options to expand both are limited.

I'm perfectly willing to spend extra to buy an Apple Silicon iMac with 64 GB of RAM and 4 TB of storage. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.

Could I buy a Mac Studio and an Apple Display and get all of that, plus a bigger screen to boot? Sure, but it wouldn't be the all-in-one iMac I know and love. (also, buying two separate devices would probably cost more than a hypothetical iMac with more storage + memory options)

Also, it might not be a popular opinion, but I'm perfectly fine with the ports, chin, and screen size of the current iMac models. ✌️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.