Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Hi All,

Wouldnt mind having the latest and greatest iphone, but Id need to sell my 16 gig 2.5g iphone first. Anyone have any idea what I could get for it?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I sold my 4GB iPhone at the right place at the right time, for $400, which is very high.

You could at least get $400 for it though. That's where i would set the reserve on eBay. Also make sure you use 1 day auction and not 3.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Probably a decent amount, but you never know. I picked up my 3g yesterday and am selling my launch 1.0 8gb on ebay now (I didn't unlock it, but it's got v1.1.4 software). I've got a couple days to go and it's at $200, but not uncommon for the 8g's to go for 300-400 sometimes fetching more if unlocked. Of course, it would also depend somewhat on what comes with the phone. I have literally EVERYTHING my phone first came with including the shrink wrap and little plastic cover things for all of the accessories so that adds some value IMO. My phone is also in mint condition. So keep all that in mind. Just do an ebay search for your phone and check off the "completed listings" option and that should give you a pretty good idea what you'd get for it.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I sold my 4GB iPhone at the right place at the right time, for $400, which is very high.

You could at least get $400 for it though. That's where i would set the reserve on eBay. Also make sure you use 1 day auction and not 3.

Well, depending when he puts it up for sale it may be best to go 1-day. I did 3-day, but the new one just barely came out so it's not that big of a deal I don't think. Plus you've got to think about the international demand for the 1.0 phone. Granted 3g will be in a lot more countries very soon, but I don't think a 3-day auction is the end of the world if you get it up right away. Of course on the auctions that I saw that ended as of last night almost all bidding was done on the last day, so take that for what it's worth.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
Well in England stuff sells for more, but I just bought a 16gb week old iPhone fore £250, so ±$500. Although I have seen them go on eBay at the moment for £400, so ±$800. But I guess thats different to America...

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Well, depending when he puts it up for sale it may be best to go 1-day. I did 3-day, but the new one just barely came out so it's not that big of a deal I don't think. Plus you've got to think about the international demand for the 1.0 phone. Granted 3g will be in a lot more countries very soon, but I don't think a 3-day auction is the end of the world if you get it up right away. Of course on the auctions that I saw that ended as of last night almost all bidding was done on the last day, so take that for what it's worth.

There are plenty of iPhones on eBay... i've sold about 20 and for 100% of the auctions, everyone started bidding when there was about 12 hours left. I tried the 3 day a few times, and no one touched it until the day the auction ended.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Well in England stuff sells for more, but I just bought a 16gb week old iPhone fore £250, so ±$500. Although I have seen them go on eBay at the moment for £400, so ±$800. But I guess thats different to America...

That's not too much of a surprise. The phones that are somehow still NIB go for a ton and the ones only slightly used go for a pretty penny as well. Then again, any should iphone will still fetch a decent price if it's in good shape and comes with either a lot of bonus stuff and/or all the original accessories that came in the box if it's all in good shape.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
There are plenty of iPhones on eBay... i've sold about 20 and for 100% of the auctions, everyone started bidding when there was about 12 hours left. I tried the 3 day a few times, and no one touched it until the day the auction ended.

Oh well. Guess I'm stuck for a couple more days then. At least some guy in Brazil put in an initial bid so I know it'll sell for at least $200 in a worst case scenario. Good info though. I'll have to keep that in mind when my parents are ready to upgrade assuming they're still selling for anything at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.