Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
There's a very nice update for What's On that just came out. It was good enough to convince me to buy it! They pretty much added a ton of features and changed the listings UI. It looks great.

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/whats-on

What's new

We've listened to all of your feedback, and What's On? 1.5 is a complete overhaul, including tons of new features and a new UI!

- Favorite Channels!
- Enhanced Search and Favorites
- Browse by Channel
- Multiple Location Support
- Full (Long Awaited) Canadian Support!
- "Locate Me" function
- Impressive customization features for Search and Favorites

190113.jpg

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
just got the update earlier today and have been using it since, i really like the new look and the UI has improved dramatically. Love it! :D

rigodamdiculous

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Love the update but does landscape mode no longer work? I liked it because you could browse an hour at a time as opposed to a half hour. Since the update though, I turn the phone sideways and nothing happens. Anyone know if this is a bug or intentional?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I was waiting for this type of update (especially channel customization) before finally buying this app.

BUT -- then the free i.TV app came out, and it looks like it has everything I ever wanted for a TV guide, plus it looks nicer and will potentially have remote DVR management in a future update (though admittedly I don't see how -- but I'm holding them to it!). Oh, and it has bonus movie listings too -- though I don't know if it will replace "Now Playing" just yet...

So does anyone have both "What's On?" and "i.TV," and see a reason why I should still buy "What's On"?

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I was waiting for this type of update (especially channel customization) before finally buying this app.

BUT -- then the free i.TV app came out, and it looks like it has everything I ever wanted for a TV guide, plus it looks nicer and will potentially have remote DVR management in a future update (though admittedly I don't see how -- but I'm holding them to it!). Oh, and it has bonus movie listings too -- though I don't know if it will replace "Now Playing" just yet...

So does anyone have both "What's On?" and "i.TV," and see a reason why I should still buy "What's On"?

Before "What's On" update, I would have told you to stick with "i.TV". It was horrible before the update, the UI and just the functionality sucked. With this update, they revamped everything and let's just say, it's awesome! This is how it should have been from the beginning.

In comparison to i.TV, they did what "what's on" is now right from the start. So really, it's a matter of preference at this point.

There is another application called "TV Forecast" which is nice. Just a forecasting of all your shows that you keep track off. Not necessarily a "TV Guide". It was nice as well but now "i.TV" and "what's on" incorporated what "TV Forecast" does.

My point in this is that, all these applications are becoming one making the none diversified application seemed crappy.

Overall, I would choose i.TV or What's ON and then remove TV forecast, unless they become a TV guide lol.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Before "What's On" update, I would have told you to stick with "i.TV". It was horrible before the update, the UI and just the functionality sucked. With this update, they revamped everything and let's just say, it's awesome! This is how it should have been from the beginning.

In comparison to i.TV, they did what "what's on" is now right from the start. So really, it's a matter of preference at this point.

There is another application called "TV Forecast" which is nice. Just a forecasting of all your shows that you keep track off. Not necessarily a "TV Guide". It was nice as well but now "i.TV" and "what's on" incorporated what "TV Forecast" does.

My point in this is that, all these applications are becoming one making the none diversified application seemed crappy.

Overall, I would choose i.TV or What's ON and then remove TV forecast, unless they become a TV guide lol.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it looks like it's just a matter of prerence at this point, since they both do pretty much the same thing. One major thing I notice is that "i.TV," while nicer-looking with all the graphics, also means it shows much LESS programming on any given screen -- while "What's On" is able to show a lot more. Right now, it's not a big deal for me to see more on the screen, so I'll just stick with "i.TV" for now -- but I can see why some would prefer "What's On" for a quicker way to see more programming at once.

chris1016

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
I love the What's On update! I thought it was great before but now it's even better, with a slick new UI and faster updates.

Problems though...
1. Rearranging channels: Say you have ~800 channels and you want a channel that's toward the end of that list at the top, but you want to keep the guides for everything else. Well, you have to find the channel you want and move it manually through hundreds of other channels until you reach the top of the list... very tedious.

2. No landscape! I thought landscape mode to view a full hour was great in the previous version, but there's no landscape in the new version.

corridor5

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Sticking with i.TV

The What's On update certainly did make the app more useable. The interface before was really ugly. The new version (1.5) is very pretty and nice to work with. Big improvement!

I think I'm still going to stick with i.TV for a few reasons. It's fun to read actor bios, look at show galleries, watch previews, and read show reviews. What's On doesn't do that and it also doesn't do movies. Plus, this is just personal preference, I like i.TV's content filtering because I don't even want to read the show names and summaries for some adult shows my cable provider supplies.

There is a lot of hoopla in the forums about i.TV's use of an ad at the top of the listings screen vs. What's On's no ads but being a paid app. I say big deal. I don't think we should be picking the app based on free or $1.99. The ads in i.TV are unobtrusive and the $1.99 (wait I think they lowered the price) is not that much. So, as far as I'm concerned, it comes down to features.

I have more fun when I use i.TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.