Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
"Slide to launch camera" One still must click on the Home button, than slide to launch the camera as oppose to clicking on the Home button, and clicking on the Camera icon that I have now ?

Samsungs S7 has it where you click on the Home button twice to activate the camera and not going into the Home screen, which is faster. In my opinion this new camera activation is not a step in the right direction. Am I missing something ?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Well maybe it's just me being clumsy but the way it was before, when I was on the lock screen I'd frequently try to bring up control center and end up bringing up the camera because there were two slide from the bottom gestures. The new model makes each compass direction do something different on the lock screen. Seems like an improvement - both logical and practical - to me. YMMV

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You don't have to click anything. On my 6s, I raise to wake and then slide over and boom, I'm at the camera. For non raise to wake devices, you'll have to wake the screen first and then swipe over. It's fast though, so the difference between double pressing on the Galaxy and the iPhone method is marginal...only really matters if you're trying to see who's faster and you have a stopwatch out...not a huge deal really.

Reactions: oftheheavens

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You don't have to click anything. On my 6s, I raise to wake and then slide over and boom, I'm at the camera. For non raise to wake devices, you'll have to wake the screen first and then swipe over. It's fast though, so the difference between double pressing on the Galaxy and the iPhone method is marginal...only really matters if you're trying to see who's faster and you have a stopwatch out...not a huge deal really.

Oh that too. Raise to wake works on my SE also. I guess older models do need to hit the home button first

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

But if I raise to wake, I'm still seeing the camera icon, and can just click on it or I can slide. Takes about the same time, and what's the point ? Oh well, its an Apple thing. But I can see why some would be OK with it.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
But if I raise to wake, I'm still seeing the camera icon, and can just click on it or I can slide. Takes about the same time, and what's the point ? Oh well, its an Apple thing. But I can see why some would be OK with it.

Raise to wake. Screen comes on. Slide over.

It's not really that time consuming and the camera is ready right when you slide over. If there's something you're trying to get a picture of, you do it quickly without thinking. You don't sit there and say, "Hmm, should I raise to wake or press the home button?" etc, etc.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

There's no camera icon on iOS 10. Have you tried it or is this a theoretical complaint?

Edit: well the camera is featured on the standard "dots" control for clarity but it's not a tappable button

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
It's at the very bottom center of the lock screen. There's 2 dots, one for the widget screen and another for the lock screen, and then there's a tiny camera icon on the right.
So there is, it is camouflaged pretty well with my wallpaper. Is that what the OP is trying to tap?

Before you had to swipe from a small area in the bottom right corner and half the time triggered Control Center instead. Now you can swipe from anywhere on the lock screen to get to the camera. It's a lot faster because it requires significantly less precision from the user.

Reactions: g-7

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So there is, it is camouflaged pretty well with my wallpaper. Is that what the OP is trying to tap?

Before you had to swipe from a small area in the bottom right corner and half the time triggered Control Center instead. Now you can swipe from anywhere on the lock screen to get to the camera. It's a lot faster because it requires significantly less precision from the user.

I guess he was trying to tap the icon, but you don't have to, like you said. Just swipe from anywhere and you can get to the camera.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
i.e. click something

Wish people would stop going on like the 6s, 6s+ and SE are the only iOS devices.

You always had to "click something" to wake the screen. What is the problem? What is the workflow you imagine something has been lost here?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
You always had to "click something" to wake the screen. What is the problem? What is the workflow you imagine something has been lost here?

you do, i'm just referring that general attitude where people are dismissing lock screen complaints by saying 'raise to wake!' (e.g. reviewing notifications then unlocking requires 2 home button clicks on a 6). However i realised batting's 'you' was to OP who has 6s in his signature, not a plural 'you'. please ignore me, sorry batting.

Reactions: batting1000

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
you do, i'm just referring that general attitude where people are dismissing lock screen complaints by saying 'raise to wake!' (e.g. reviewing notifications then unlocking requires 2 home button clicks on a 6). However i realised batting's 'you' was to OP who has 6s in his signature, not a plural 'you'. please ignore me, sorry batting.

It's not against you personally but I find it bizarre that people are complaining about this. Nothing has been lost and something has been gained for users with 6s/6s+/SE. It doesn't seem to matter though because as soon as Apple change anything there's an "OMG ITS SO BAD!!!" response whether it makes sense or not

iu.jpeg

^^^ The average macrumors forum commenter ;)

Reactions: Justjay27

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
"Slide to launch camera" One still must click on the Home button, than slide to launch the camera as oppose to clicking on the Home button, and clicking on the Camera icon that I have now ?

Samsungs S7 has it where you click on the Home button twice to activate the camera and not going into the Home screen, which is faster. In my opinion this new camera activation is not a step in the right direction. Am I missing something ?
Nope. Don't need to touch the home button. Just raise your phone (take it out of your pocket) and slide right to left. Camera launched. No tiny area to aim for etc. Easy.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Nope. Don't need to touch the home button. Just raise your phone (take it out of your pocket) and slide right to left. Camera launched. No tiny area to aim for etc. Easy.

Only on 6s/6s+/SE but that's not really relevant because you always had to push the home (or power) button to wake your phone before activating the camera. Nothing lost in this new interaction.

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Sorry, meant Home Screen, not lock screen and it was a theoretical complaint as mentioned. Just thought it was not anything earth shattering different than what we all ready have.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Only on 6s/6s+/SE but that's not really relevant because you always had to push the home (or power) button to wake your phone before activating the camera. Nothing lost in this new interaction.
So his feature is only on the 6s/s+ and not the 6/6+?

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
I also like the new feature due to a lot of times I'd try to bring up the camera and it would either not work by not totally registering my finger or it would try to bring up the control center. I feel like sometimes I'd have to try two or three times to activate the camera. Now it works every time.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Raise to unlock is 6s/6s+/SE only, yes. Everyone else views their lock screen by hitting home or power, same as always.

It's still not fully clear if Raise to Wake is a 6s, 6s+ and SE only feature. M7 and M8 coprocessor are capable of handling it (M8 at least)

I haven't seen any documentation stating M9 only (Apple's site just says "motion coprocessor") It's possible it may be only enabled on the newest phones in this build because those are the phones they used in the WWDC keynote on stage.

We won't really know until after a few more beta builds and still not enabled elsewhere or if Apple confirms it somewhere.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It's still not fully clear if Raise to Wake is a 6s, 6s+ and SE only feature. M7 and M8 coprocessor are capable of handling it (M8 at least)

I haven't seen any documentation stating M9 only (Apple's site just says "motion coprocessor") It's possible it may be only enabled on the newest phones in this build because those are the phones they used in the WWDC keynote on stage.

We won't really know until after a few more beta builds and still not enabled elsewhere or if Apple confirms it somewhere.
That's true. It'd be more accurate to say right now it's only on those handsets

Reactions: lagwagon

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014

I would also assume that the 6/6+ could handle it. As you said, time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.