Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fusionjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums. I'll try to make this short as possible.

I'm a man with a wife and two awesome kids. Wife and I only have one car at the moment. I'm currently saving up for a car at the moment. We work opposite shifts at the moment. I'm currently working a warehouse job. Not the ideal job but it pays the bills. Like a lot of people wife and I are struggling financially at the moment. I know this situation will change.

While my wife is at work and my kids are at school. I have a lot of free time and I want to use this free time in a productive way. I just want to learn something online that is 100% legal:) so I can that land that better paying job. Want to learn something that is affordable or free. I do not care if I have to study a lot. Just want a better situation for my wife and kids that's all.

Made too many stupid mistakes when I was younger regarding my education. I just want to make up for it now. Perspective changed for me when you have kids.

Don't be upset with me but I do not own a Mac. Just a windows laptop. Asus TUF F17 laptop I bought a year ago. After I purchase a second car then I'll start saving up for a Mac. Either iMac, Mac Mini or a Macbook pro.

Thanks for any good feedback.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
MOOC.org offers free college courses. Learning is free, but you pay earn a degree.

It's not a bunch of bland named universities. Prestigious schools like MIT, Penn State, Harvard...also offers free course on MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses).

I've used it to learn how to handle kids in a classroom environment. I got wrangled into teaching a bunch if 6th graders last year. Quite frankly, I was in over my head. The subject matter was easy as pi, but dealing with 20 kids from different backgrounds and ethnicity was a constant struggle. After taking the teaching course on MOOC offered by Cornell University, I got a better grasp of how to teach.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Fusionjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
MOOC.org offers free college courses. Learning is free, but you pay earn a degree.

It's not a bunch of bland named universities. Prestigious schools like MIT, Penn State, Harvard...also offers free course on MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses).

I've used it to learn how to handle kids in a classroom environment. I got wrangled into teaching a bunch if 6th graders last year. Quite frankly, I was in over my head. The subject matter was easy as pi, but dealing with 20 kids from different backgrounds and ethnicity was a constant struggle. After taking the teaching course on MOOC offered by Cornell University, I got a better grasp of how to teach.
Wow! Thanks Mousse! Glad someone like you responded to my post so quick. I will DEFINITELY look into this and star taking classes.

I see your point with teaching 6th graders. Glad it worked out for you. I have to give you props to you. I could not be a teacher just not in my DNA. it's a good job though.

Thanks again. Heading to that website now.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums. I'll try to make this short as possible.

I'm a man with a wife and two awesome kids. Wife and I only have one car at the moment. I'm currently saving up for a car at the moment. We work opposite shifts at the moment. I'm currently working a warehouse job. Not the ideal job but it pays the bills. Like a lot of people wife and I are struggling financially at the moment. I know this situation will change.

While my wife is at work and my kids are at school. I have a lot of free time and I want to use this free time in a productive way. I just want to learn something online that is 100% legal:) so I can that land that better paying job. Want to learn something that is affordable or free. I do not care if I have to study a lot. Just want a better situation for my wife and kids that's all.

Made too many stupid mistakes when I was younger regarding my education. I just want to make up for it now. Perspective changed for me when you have kids.

Don't be upset with me but I do not own a Mac. Just a windows laptop. Asus TUF F17 laptop I bought a year ago. After I purchase a second car then I'll start saving up for a Mac. Either iMac, Mac Mini or a Macbook pro.

Thanks for any good feedback.
I have very little formal education, but am a senior manager at an international business.
I would say before jumping into an online course think about your end goal. What sort of position interests you? Do you have experience etc?
For example you say you work in a warehouse. Would a warehouse management course be if interest? Would your employer be prepared to offer you training?
I say this because if you start a course where most of your competitors have degrees etc, you are going to be a long way behind. But if there is a field where you have experience and some education, future employers will take that into consideration.
Good luck with it whatever you chose. Just don’t forget to make time for your wife and children.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have very little formal education, but am a senior manager at an international business.
I would say before jumping into an online course think about your end goal. What sort of position interests you? Do you have experience etc?
For example you say you work in a warehouse. Would a warehouse management course be if interest? Would your employer be prepared to offer you training?
I say this because if you start a course where most of your competitors have degrees etc, you are going to be a long way behind. But if there is a field where you have experience and some education, future employers will take that into consideration.
Good luck with it whatever you chose. Just don’t forget to make time for your wife and children.
Yours is a very good advice! Some companies offer worker (s) training courses. Sometimes learning a work skill and becoming proficient at it can open doors along the way.

Fusionjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
Thanks for responding. That is motivating to hear that you have little formal education. What kind of little formal education have you had?
My main interests are in Information Technology. Also computer programming. From my research online I've read it's best to study for and get A+ certified. Computer programming is what I'd like to do. Just concerned about what will happen with computer programming 10 years from now since AI is getting better as time goes on.
I've actually helped out family and friends with computer questions and they usually ask me to go with them to BestBuy for example to answer their questions and to help out what things to buy.
I also like learning Mathematics and learning the Law.

It's funny you mentioned warehouse management. That does not interest me at all. No offense. I had to work a graveyard shift because only one car at the moment and my wife and the kids go to school and go to work during the day. I picked warehouse work because it was the best option that was close to my house. Not enough pay to stock shelves at the grocery store. It was $14 an hour when I interviewed with them. Even though I told them I had experience stocking shelves when I was 18 years old stocking shelves at Target. Next job was working fast food during the graveyard shift. It was around the same pay stocking shelves at the grocery store and a lot more stress.

Thank you for the kind words. I will always make time for my family. They mean the world to me. Just want a better qualify of life for them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What do you like to do, what do you want to do? What gifts and skills do you have?

I'm in IS, and I went from computer operator (on those ancient mainframes - mostly because I'm ancient). Then as a programmer and then as a systems engineer, i.e., manage and take care of servers. I opted for the hardware because at the time, out sourcing was all of the rage and in my wisdom I thought well, they're moving programmers to India, but they can't move servers there so that's what I'll do. I totally missed the idea that cloud computing would be a thing 10 - 20 years later.

My point is we don't know how the world will evolve, and how technology will change our jobs, and lives. I think though if I was starting out again, I'd look for careers where humans are needed. Trades, service industries, civil servants, etc. I know people who were mailmen and the pension they get puts my retirement to shame. Don't look down at those jobs that require physical exertion, or working with your hands

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for responding. That is motivating to hear that you have little formal education. What kind of little formal education have you had?
My main interests are in Information Technology. Also computer programming. From my research online I've read it's best to study for and get A+ certified. Computer programming is what I'd like to do. Just concerned about what will happen with computer programming 10 years from now since AI is getting better as time goes on.
I've actually helped out family and friends with computer questions and they usually ask me to go with them to BestBuy for example to answer their questions and to help out what things to buy.
I also like learning Mathematics and learning the Law.

It's funny you mentioned warehouse management. That does not interest me at all. No offense. I had to work a graveyard shift because only one car at the moment and my wife and the kids go to school and go to work during the day. I picked warehouse work because it was the best option that was close to my house. Not enough pay to stock shelves at the grocery store. It was $14 an hour when I interviewed with them. Even though I told them I had experience stocking shelves when I was 18 years old stocking shelves at Target. Next job was working fast food during the graveyard shift. It was around the same pay stocking shelves at the grocery store and a lot more stress.

Thank you for the kind words. I will always make time for my family. They mean the world to me. Just want a better qualify of life for them.
I left school at 15. Started work (actually started full time work whilst I was on study leave for my exams).

Don’t get me wrong if I had my time over I’d go a different route for sure, but as @maflynn says the world of work is constantly changing. The way AI is being incorporated into many businesses means many people will be losing their jobs again. We have reduced our content writers for our website for example.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Work out, eat right

The body and mind are connected together, healthier is better

Also when it comes to promotions it’s hard to think of the guy with the gut hanging over his belt as someone with discipline

Reactions: Fusionjunkie

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
What do you like to do, what do you want to do? What gifts and skills do you have?

I'm in IS, and I went from computer operator (on those ancient mainframes - mostly because I'm ancient). Then as a programmer and then as a systems engineer, i.e., manage and take care of servers. I opted for the hardware because at the time, out sourcing was all of the rage and in my wisdom I thought well, they're moving programmers to India, but they can't move servers there so that's what I'll do. I totally missed the idea that cloud computing would be a thing 10 - 20 years later.

My point is we don't know how the world will evolve, and how technology will change our jobs, and lives. I think though if I was starting out again, I'd look for careers where humans are needed. Trades, service industries, civil servants, etc. I know people who were mailmen and the pension they get puts my retirement to shame. Don't look down at those jobs that require physical exertion, or working with your hands

Most of the guys I know in the trades make more than my friends who work with computers, also tons of earning possibilities if you have some entrepreneur in you

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most of the guys I know in the trades make more than my friends who work with computers, also tons of earning possibilities if you have some entrepreneur in you
My uncle an electrician would tell this story from time to time, back in the day, we're talking like the 1960s/1970s. He was working at a construction site in boston, across the street from a bank. Each day the suited folks would look down at these dirty construction works, and sneer at that. One one pay day they decided in mass to go to that bank and cash their checks. The people who looked down at them and how much money they made. Banks don't pay their tellers much and seeing these folks make tons more was a well deserved humbling experience for them - don't look down at tradesmen.

Btw, my uncle was able to afford a large house, with a built in pool, several cars, my aunt was a stay at home mother, and the kids went to private schools - I'd say being an electrician served him well.

Reactions: InvertedGoldfish

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I worked in HR for 30 years. I would highly recommend something in the technical field - plumbing, electrical, HVAC, solar installation, car mechanic. All of these jobs require an in person expert to do the work so future proofed - can’t be done overseas. They are in great demand and pay really well. Maybe see if someone local will take you on as an apprentice to learn.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

Fusionjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I meant no disrespect whatsoever with the people in the trades as a career. I've met a few people in the past through friends of friends and always told them thank you for doing what they do. I highly respect them. I apologize if it came across that way. I will definitely look into learning a trade in the future. I'm thinking about a becoming a welder or an electrician.
I will definitely see during the day if I can be an apprentice. What I've decided to do is to talk to a career counselor and see what the best option for me is and to talk them about a trade as well. Learning a trade is a very valuable skill.
Also agree with InvertedGoldfish. Being healthy and eating healthy is great. That's why I've stopped drinking any soda and sugary drinks. Just water with electrolytes. Just signed up to go to the gym too right by my house. I'm glad this gym is open 24/7. Thank you all for the advice. I've read them all.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I left school at 15. Started work (actually started full time work whilst I was on study leave for my exams).

Don’t get me wrong if I had my time over I’d go a different route for sure, but as @maflynn says the world of work is constantly changing. The way AI is being incorporated into many businesses means many people will be losing their jobs again. We have reduced our content writers for our website for example.
I did something similar by starting to work part-time right after high school, and then full-time after 3 college semesters. Retired from this job 20 years later, then worked for the State of Alaska, and retired again in 2021 after 25 years of work. On my first job I learned and became proficient driving heavy equipment, and then aircraft electrical system maintenance. On the second job I learned home electrical work, plumbing, and so on. On my first job I could not earn more by working over-time, but I did on the second job. An education is fine, but paid-work brings food to the table, and if one is frugal and invests with care, one can enhance one's finances. Nowadays a lot of people spend several college or university years studying, plus a fortune loss in debt, then after graduating not all have job opportunities waiting for them to fill.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I did something similar by starting to work part-time right after high school, and then full-time after 3 college semesters. Retired from this job 20 years later, then worked for the State of Alaska, and retired again in 2021 after 25 years of work. On my first job I learned and became proficient driving heavy equipment, and then aircraft electrical system maintenance. On the second job I learned home electrical work, plumbing, and so on. On my first job I could not earn more by working over-time, but I did on the second job. An education is fine, but paid-work brings food to the table, and if one is frugal and invests with care, one can enhance one's finances. Nowadays a lot of people spend several college or university years studying, plus a fortune loss in debt, then after graduating not all have job opportunities waiting for them to fill.
So true. Many years ago there were a lot less university courses offered. They generally led to a job.
Now nearly everyone goes on to further education and many of those courses are designed to earn the college or university money, not provide a career for the student.
I recall reading an article about beauticians. So many people were on a course learning how to be one, that by the time they had all finished we would have 10 times as many. It was unrealistic to expect them all to find jobs.
I’m not anti education. But if you are going to spend 3-4 years studying and racking up huge debts, at least make sure there is likely to be a job at the end of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.