Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
To me it seems like bloatware. It usually doesn't take long for apps on my Mac to update so it can just be done when I open them and a new update is available.

Reactions: Basic75 and .wojtek

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I find MacUpdater excellent for notifying me of updates which I then actually update by going to the app to download and install it. Much better than discovering next time you open the app that it has an update and being delayed or deferring it and forgetting. One of my favourite apps which I definitely don't regard as bloatware. It seems a very lightweight and well behaved app to me.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Believe it is a personal preference issue. Agree with previous post in that MacUpdater is not bloatware. Although I do not use it anymore before the App Store was fully developed I used it all the time. I prefer not to have automatic updated enabled as in some cases I do not want the update the apps. Two simple examples are PDF expert, and my 3rd party password manager both have new updates with some nice feature but they want to switch to a subscription model which I do not like.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It allows you to quickly see which Apps have new or upgraded versions and easily update them if you wish.

Reactions: gilby101

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
Every app you install, every company that has your personal information is a security risk and a stability risk. You simply never know when a bug or data breach is going to affect you. I understand that is an extreme way of looking at things but I feel that is where we are at these days.

Of course, an argument could be made that MacUpdater enhances security because it keeps your programs up to date. But so does leaving the program's automatic update feature enabled and that doesn't add expense or complication to your system.

It is definitely not bloatware, it is a program that tries to offer a convenient way to keep you software updated in as timely manner as possible. And while it does do that, IMHO, that benefit is so minor that it simply isn't worth spending money on (they do have a free version that you can try).

-kp

Reactions: KaliYoni

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I run it as soon as I have booted up.

When I am on my Mac, I am mainly working and normally stressed for a deadline.

Once I am in work mode, I don't want to open an app that states there is an update, and have to wait for it to update.

Obviously some apps may have an update during the day, but in that case, its likely only one. My thought process is less likely to be disturbed by running MacUpdater.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I use a similar free app: Latest.

I don't use it often, but maybe once per month I'll run it because I have a bunch of apps that I don't use with any kind of frequency but I want to keep up with it. This allows me to update them all without launching any of them.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It's definitely NOT bloatware. It's a separate application that provides the convenience of keeping your apps up to date. I've been using to for about 4 or 5 years, and it's one of the first third party apps that I install on a new Mac.

Reactions: gilby101

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't see ANY "appeal" in an app "to keep all my apps updated at once".

There are some applications that I don't want to be "updated".

I prefer to update things (including the OS) "manually". Thank you very much...

Reactions: Pierre535

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
There are some applications that I don't want to be "updated".

Disable automatic updates and update just the ones you want. I've updated everything so screenshot only shows upgrades.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 00.52.05.png

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 00.52.21.png

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Apps like MacUpdater can be useful and convenient to be aware of app updates. But they don’t force you to automatically update and apps can be selected to be ignored.

Personally, I use it from time to time, particularly useful for apps that I don’t use so regularly. But when noting an update I am interested in, then I manually open the app to check for updates. My preference is to not have updates automatically made, neither by MacUpdater or even by App Store.

Reactions: phrehdd

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I like MacUpdater. I have it running in the background but not in auto-update mode. I want to see what needs updating and why, so I can make my own decisions about what to update and when. I also have it set so it's menubar icon tells me how many need updating. That way I don't need to open it up unless I want to. I don't like that some apps don't tell you they need updating and I don't want to check that every time I open an app.
Having said that, the comments in this thread show diverse opinions on the matter. It's a good thing that the options in MacUpdater allow quite a few different ways of using it. The two main category's are simple: "Use It" and "Don't use it'. Each to one's own. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.