Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I keep thinking about trying android again (last android phone was the Note 8 and been on iPhone ever since). From a phone perspective I think now is as good a time as any with the Pixel 7 Pro reviewing really well and the Samsung S23 ultra just round the corner. But is there a decent android compatible alternative to the Apple Watch? It’s the main thing holding me back.

I use Apple Pay on my watch all the time, I track my activities, dog walks, hikes, runs, indoor bike sessions. And I track my sleep. I have the cellular version and I like the safety aspect that this provides for when out running or walking without my phone.

What is the best alternative that is android compatible? Do the galaxy watches work well with the pixel or are they a bit crippled without a Samsung phone? I think the pixel watch is too small for me. When do Samsung normally release new watches? Will they release the 6 alongside the s23?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I keep thinking about trying android again (last android phone was the Note 8 and been on iPhone ever since). From a phone perspective I think now is as good a time as any with the Pixel 7 Pro reviewing really well and the Samsung S23 ultra just round the corner. But is there a decent android compatible alternative to the Apple Watch? It’s the main thing holding me back.

I use Apple Pay on my watch all the time, I track my activities, dog walks, hikes, runs, indoor bike sessions. And I track my sleep. I have the cellular version and I like the safety aspect that this provides for when out running or walking without my phone.

What is the best alternative that is android compatible? Do the galaxy watches work well with the pixel or are they a bit crippled without a Samsung phone? I think the pixel watch is too small for me. When do Samsung normally release new watches? Will they release the 6 alongside the s23?

There are some features that require a Samsung phone, i.e. blood pressure measurement and ECG, both of which work through the Samsung Health Monitor app that's only available in the Galaxy Store. Other features should work also with a Pixel, but I'm not sure if e.g. do not disturb synchronization works as well as it does with a Samsung phone.

The next Samsung watch launch most likely won't happen alongside the S23 series as the Galaxy Watch S5 series came out in August and the S23 series is rumored to launch in February. I think the Watch S6 series comes out in the August-September timeframe together with the next foldables.

Reactions: aldo82

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
With a Galaxy Watch you have access to those activities as well... but you have the pleasure of choosing between Google Pay or Samsung Pay.

I've been a Galaxy Watch user for over a year now, before that I was a longtime Apple user and the difference between the Galaxy Watch (or any Android Watch) vs Apple Watch is 3rd party app support. Google is trying to push WearOS forward with revamping it, but they can only do so much.

But based on your usage... I'd say go ahead and give the Galaxy Watch a try, Samsung always have discounts available for you.

As @Roadstar mention... we won't see any new Galaxy Watches until August-September, I'm still rocking the Watch 4 Classic because I prefer the bezels.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
As @Roadstar mention... we won't see any new Galaxy Watches until August-September, I'm still rocking the Watch 4 Classic because I prefer the bezels.

The bezel on the Watch 4 Classic was awesome indeed, but the improved battery life and the faster charging in the Watch 5 Pro won me over. It's been my daily driver until just a couple of days ago when I got a Garmin Venu 2 Plus from a nice discount. In many aspects I still prefer the Watch 5 Pro, but it would be great if the Watch 6 series brought ANT+ support. That's one of the main reasons I bought the Garmin as I wanted a better integration with my Specialized e-bike.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm finally thinking of making the switch, too. It's tough with some contacts still on iMessages, but I've been though a lot of struggling with neurological consequences from Apple displays. I'm not sure what precisely is causing me trouble and we don't need to rehash all that here anyway. I'm comfortable on an S22 Ultra. I'm thinking of making it my primary phone.

I've been a heavy apple watch user. I honestly haven't been paying attention to Android watches.

The Watch 5 Pro looks probably a bit masculine for me. And expensive.

Do you all think the regular 5 in the larger size would still have good battery life? I'm thinking of silver and leather band.

I'm probably going to wait and see if there's promotions I can use to get the watch when/if I preorder an S23 Ultra.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'm finally thinking of making the switch, too. It's tough with some contacts still on iMessages, but I've been though a lot of struggling with neurological consequences from Apple displays. I'm not sure what precisely is causing me trouble and we don't need to rehash all that here anyway. I'm comfortable on an S22 Ultra. I'm thinking of making it my primary phone.

I've been a heavy apple watch user. I honestly haven't been paying attention to Android watches.

The Watch 5 Pro looks probably a bit masculine for me. And expensive.

Do you all think the regular 5 in the larger size would still have good battery life? I'm thinking of silver and leather band.

I'm probably going to wait and see if there's promotions I can use to get the watch when/if I preorder an S23 Ultra.

Battery life on the regular Watch 5 isn't as impressive as on the 5 Pro, but at least it's quicker to charge than the previous generation. The S23 launch is so close that waiting for the possible (and knowing Samsung, rather likely) promotions is a good idea.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.