Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
After getting use to my new macbook pro, im ready to dive into music recording on this platform. What is the best mac app for recording live sound from my guitar setup? Will i be crippled if I try protools and its not universal binary yet?
Thanks alot!

paul

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
The universal binary of Pro Tools will be available in May. Until then you can warm up with GarageBand, which I assume was bundled with your Macbook.

If you literally want to connect your guitar directly (not going through mikes or preamps) then you'll probably need some hardware as well. You can also try something like guitar rig, which doesn't record at all, but it has some decent amp emulations and effects. It's not all that cheap though.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have a preamp as well as an external firewire m-audio sound card for this sort of thing, worked great on my pc( its os x compatible too). Yeah garage band looks cool, but Is it true you can only do 8 tracks per session? Im used to doing 30ish.... i do some really weird ambient ****.

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Since you already have an m-audio card, use garage band for now. It is fully compatible. In May, when Pro Tools is released for Intels, purchase Pro Tools M-Powered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.