Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I was at Micro Center looking for a mouse pad for my Magic Mouse and didn’t realize pads come in different materials and sizes. Some sizes cover the whole table or desk. what’s the reason for a pad big? What’s the best material for my Magic Mouse that came with the new iMac.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Some pads cover the whole table. Why is that a feature? If you have an iMac, then keyboard, everything is on top of the mouse pad!?!

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Keyboard and mouse/trackpad/trackball yes. I have a 35”x15”.
A big mouse pad for consistent feel across a wide range of the table or for a consistent look, or both? Or perhaps to protect the entire table? The 3XL is a little bigger than my work table. I was thinking of having the extra hang down in front of me so it would cushion my wrist and forearm when I used the keyboard or mouse or trackpad. Or maybe I’m better getting a dedicated keyboard wrist pad and mouse wrist pad?

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
A big mouse pad for consistent feel across a wide range of the table or for a consistent look, or both?
Consistent feel for me. The pad is softer than the desk, so it feels a little better. Also I can move the keyboard a bit around. I'm mostly using a trackball for work, occasionally a mouse. Mouse is mostly for games every now and then, but different games require different movement. So it's easy to move the keyboard over a little and have a much larger mousepad that way. A larger mousepad brings more flexibility.

One thing to note is, depending on material, when it gets really hot (100ºF+), a pad might feel a little odd, especially when it's sweaty. I'm using AC to keep temperatures down in the summer.
Or maybe I’m better getting a dedicated keyboard wrist pad and mouse wrist pad?
If you don't move things around too much, that should work as well. They're also more elevated, is you need that.

There really isn't a right approach for everyone, do what feels best for you. This might require some experimentation / trial and error.

Reactions: Luba

TylerHann

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2022
Of course it depends on your intended usage, deciding which mouse pad and size is best for you. I am a photo retoucher so I'll provide some advice from that perspective, and I think you can draw on a lot of what I say for your own situation because I spent a lot of time on this topic in deciding what was best for me.

I work using a MacBook Pro as my "desktop system now, finding it much more useful than my old Mac Pro was. I use two 27 inch monitors.

I decided on the ideal size of my mouse pad simply by measuring the distance that my mouse must move on my desktop in the x and y axis at the dpi I use for photo editing,so the size I settled on turned out to be 340mm x 280mm.

Asa for the type of mousepad, THAT turned into a long quest over several years! I regularly use a Wacom tablet for a lot of retouching work, and a tablet is wonderful BUT there is a lot of retouching work where a mouse is more precise, especially if you are working at a 1:1 pixel level.

The problem I've always had is not with the mouse but with the mouse pad!

I use a Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse which is an outstanding and very precise mouse. However, for a mouse to move precisely over a mouse pad requires two things: a low coefficient of static friction and a somewhat higher coefficient of dynamic friction. It is a very delicate balance! Too much static friction makes the mouse "sticky" to move from a resting position, and too little dynamic friction makes the mouse too slippery to stop without overshooting your target.

For casual computer use, none of this might make too much difference and a cheap cloth mousepad will be just fine, but if you do precision work with your mouse and you work on your computer all day long, these friction issues can drive you mad!

Most cloth mouse pads are nowhere close to ideal except for maybe the Japanese Artisan series of mouse pads. Plastic (resin coated) pads suffer the same problem. Though they may be good right out of the box, the issue is that the surfaces of all of them slowly degrade over time, making them more sticky or slippery depending on where the mouse is on the pad, and that makes them completely unpredictable for controlled movement.

One of the best mouse pads I ever used was the Logitech G440, which is a polycarbonate hard pad. It provided excellent mouse speed and control...BUT the surface texture of the pad gradually wears down over time until it becomes virtually useless!

A casual user might get several months out of the G440 before they start to have issues, but as an everyday professional, I only got about one month use out of the G440 before it ended up in the trash can.

The real issue with pads that wear down though is not the cost of replacing them, but the fact that you can never develop "muscle memory" for mouse movements, and that's really important for doing fast photoshop work, or, if you are a gamer, for developing optimal gaming skills, since the friction of the pad is constantly degrading over time.

I tried many other pads including glass pads but they all had issues of one type or another. I finally had a mouse pad custom designed out of aluminum with a teflon coating and have been using that for over a year now with no issues at all.

It was costly to develop because it involved a lot of prototype until we found the ideal surface texturing of the aluminum to provide the correct friction characteristics, btu now that it has been developed, when the day comes that I need to replace it (and that day will come), the cost to do so will only be about $60, and that is not that much expensive than some of the "premium" gaming mouse pads being sold today.

Anyway, hope this all helps. If you don't mind replacing the Logitech G440 a few times a year, I'd highly recommend it. I think it goes for around $20 or so on Amazon, and it is a relatively large pad at 340mm x 280mm, just like mine.

Last edited:

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I ended up getting a very large mousepad that covers a fold-up table that I use as my desk. Coverage is perfect almost as if it was made for this table size. With the large mousepad it makes the surface look good and have a consistent height throughout the surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.