Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxMacSolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2023
Previously, I always opened a .txt file for quick notes, but since I started using the native Stickies app, I've found it quite bothersome. I have to click to confirm every time I delete something... and the text copied into it always retains its formatting, which is really frustrating. I sincerely hope everyone can recommend one to me. Thank you 🙏

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I use Paper as default text editor. It has markdown and the UI is very intuitive.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I would recommend SimpleNote. Very straightforward, free, clean. No formatting unless you choose to use Markdown.

SimpleNote also has a pretty cool little power feature, which is the ability to publish a note directly to the web.

Sarah_Baker

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2023
I might not be as simple as you guys, but with a risk of being booed, I'd say Notion. I have been using it for a year now and I can't switch back from the Notes app. I recently found out that Safari has the option to add any website/web app to the dock as an icon. I added Notion, and now it does not consume the HUGE amounts of RAM & battery it used to with the native app, but it is as lightweight as possible and opens up in a snap.

Reactions: Turnpike

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Previously, I always opened a .txt file for quick notes, but since I started using the native Stickies app, I've found it quite bothersome. I have to click to confirm every time I delete something... and the text copied into it always retains its formatting, which is really frustrating. I sincerely hope everyone can recommend one to me. Thank you 🙏
Stickies app, and many other apps has an item in the edit menu that removes text formatting when pasting - shift-alt-cmd-V, in case you didn't know.

I use Notes app for notes. :cool:
It's useful as it can sync to other devices via icloud.

Another thing relating to this which I find extremely useful is the Popclip app. It's a little bar that pops up when you select any text anywhere. You can customize it to show/do almost anything. I have it so I can: copy, cut, paste, make a stickie, make a note in Notes, look up in dictionary, search in the default internet searcher, look up spelling and create a reminder. Used it for years, and can't live without it.

Skjermbilde 2023-12-07 kl. 15.55.19.png

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Stickies app, and many other apps has an item in the edit menu that removes text formatting when pasting - shift-alt-cmd-V, in case you didn't know.

I use Notes app for notes. :cool:
It's useful as it can sync to other devices via icloud.

Another thing relating to this which I find extremely useful is the Popclip app. It's a little bar that pops up when you select any text anywhere. You can customize it to show/do almost anything. I have it so I can: copy, cut, paste, make a stickie, make a note in Notes, look up in dictionary, search in the default internet searcher, look up spelling and create a reminder. Used it for years, and can't live without it.

View attachment 2322096
WOW, Ben J. I just got Popclip a few days ago for my new MBA, and I found it super useful - but I only had the Search-Copy-Cut-Paste and didn’t know it could be configured to more… that’s amazing! Thank you so much for mentioning it!

In turn I can mention another new to me app I found super useful - Unclutter. I use it all the time, actually in combination with Popclip. You move your mouse/trackpad cursor to the top of your screen and scroll down and it pulls three drawers open where you can stuff random things, notes, clipboard, text, links, files, etc. It can be used like the OP suggests, just to write quick notes. Then, you go back to your work and the drawers slide shut automatically after a time you can adjust. Super useful.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
WOW, Ben J. I just got Popclip a few days ago for my new MBA, and I found it super useful - but I only had the Search-Copy-Cut-Paste and didn’t know it could be configured to more… that’s amazing! Thank you so much for mentioning it!

In turn I can mention another new to me app I found super useful - Unclutter. I use it all the time, actually in combination with Popclip. You move your mouse/trackpad cursor to the top of your screen and scroll down and it pulls three drawers open where you can stuff random things, notes, clipboard, text, links, files, etc. It can be used like the OP suggests, just to write quick notes. Then, you go back to your work and the drawers slide shut automatically after a time you can adjust. Super useful.
Glad I could help.
I have tried Unclutter. I bought it. I wanted to like it, but it didn't work for me. It should have been much more customizable. You can't even change the font size. I gave them some feedback, but it seems like it's not evolving much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.